Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best front/ rear seal alignment tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Best front/ rear seal alignment tool?

Hey guys, which alignment tools have you had the best luck with? In the past I used the Sac City tool with ok results, no extreme leaks but the rear main seal did start leaking after ~30k miles but that could be due to any number of reasons. But I can't help notice that the Mr Gasket tool and the Sac City Corvette tool both have o-rings, and the CBM tool is a solid chunk of aluminum. Any thoughts?

CMB:
Amazon Amazon

Mr Gasket:
https://www.holley.com/products/acce...ls/parts/LSRC1

Sac City:
http://www.saccitycorvette.com/AlignItTools.html

Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 442 Likes on 312 Posts

The biggest thing with any seal is to make sure the sealing area is clean. If there is wear on the seal riding area you may need to seat the seal further or get a repair sleeve.

Also make sure the seal is lubricated when you install it so it does not burn up.

The GM seals come with a lubricant already on the sealing area.

If the engine has been apart, you need make sure the cover is aligned properly. For that I use the dealer service tools from Kent Moore.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

I've been thinking about the tools also,as for the seals ... don't some of the seals (Teflon) state"do not lube" , I've never heard of not lubing a seal. Anyone have experience with the "Do not Lube" seals?
Old 04-24-2018, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Lxcoupe,

If you follow the instructional videos on our website their is no chance that the tool can cause a leak, even after 30k miles. One mistake that can be made with all these tools you listed, ours included is tightening the oil pan bolts to tight before tightening the cover bolts. Tightening the pan bolts first pulls down on the cover and binds the tool which would misalign the cover. The pan should just be snugged enough so the tool can rotate and is not binding, then torque the cover bolts and then torque the pan bolts.
Another issue would be if you dont leave the white insert in the seal while installing it. That insert keeps the lips on the seal spread so they don't fold in when installing the seal.
Our O-ring design makes for a perfect snug fit no matter the temperature, which can cause expansion/contraction of the tool, crank and covers that will hinder a perfect fit. The O ring design eliminates the problem.
We also offer the tools in a Aluminum Anodized version.

Thank you
Christian
Attached Thumbnails Best front/ rear seal alignment tool?-rm_tc_aluminum-copy.jpg  

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

I have the sac city tools and they are excellent ! I also have the GM L shaped alignment tool that the covers bolt up to as well as the block.....Did I miss the need or not need of this tool in seal installation ???
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I recently got the sac city corvette set and love em
Old 07-22-2018, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you recommend lubing the crank surface when installing a new seal? I thought I read in the manual not to lube, keep the crankshaft surface clean?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Do you recommend lubing the crank surface when installing a new seal? I thought I read in the manual not to lube, keep the crankshaft surface clean?
I always try to, I usually use at least some motor oil off the dipstick while I'm there in the engine bay or may even give it a squirt of wd-40. But I have put in several and without thinking just stuck it in there without lubing, but if memory serves me correct, there was lube already in the seal. Some seals I install already have grease on them some don't. But for preference's sake, I would prefer to lube them. I don't see how firing them dry can be good and a little lube on them, well they're gonna have a little on them after the motor runs..
Old 07-23-2018, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the sac city tools and have never had an issue.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a tool for everything...i just think some tools are a waste of money for the sole function it does...
Old 07-23-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Sometimes that "sole function" is critical enough to justify the correct tool. But if you can eyeball it, go for it!
Old 07-23-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I've put many front and rear covers on LS motors without a tool and without a leak, oil pans as well. Every one I did without an alignment tool did not leak. Because I took the time and lined it up well. But..

One of the last ones I did developed a bad leak after I did the rear main plate/gasket/rear seal. So I figured I had screwed it up. Since I assumed that I immediately ordered the alignment tools and when they came in I pulled the trans, but the rear seal was perfectly dry. Turns out the oil pan gasket rubber strip separated from the metal at the rear when I slid the rear main plate on and caused the leak. If I had used the alignment tool in the first place I wouldn't have doubted the alignment and I would have likely went for the pan first. So the tool can help in more ways than it's intended use. I did buy the Sac city corvette tools and they are really nice. And even though that rear main and cover didn't leak, it wasn't aligned perfect either, it was off a little. I ended up checking it with the tool and correcting it and it was definitely better. I'll use the tool always from now on. Time is money.
The following users liked this post:
BRAAPZ (03-09-2021)
Old 07-23-2018, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

for me...during a build is the worst time to buy new tools...cuz it pile on to what you have spent already and it makes the decision hard...or atleast for me anyway...
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
for me...during a build is the worst time to buy new tools...cuz it pile on to what you have spent already and it makes the decision hard...or atleast for me anyway...
Yeah it's a much bigger issue for people that are going to use them once. I have my hands in LS motors, mostly trucks, often.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I used the CBM. And like the fit and finish
Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 564 Likes on 418 Posts

i use the crankshaft to align it, if anything.

ive never had one leak. are these 'tools' really necessary? they dont seem like much more than another excuse to buy something billet.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter

ive never had one leak. are these 'tools' really necessary? they dont seem like much more than another excuse to buy something billet.

I love tools as much as the next guy, but I agree. Spend your money on some flowers for your wife. At least she will be grateful as you get fucked out of $100
Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TrendSetter

Are they necessary? I've gotten by without them for years without issues. But uh... there's some people that I would say these are necessary for. It is possible to really screw this up if you aren't careful. But for some of us they aren't really necessary. If you get what I'm saying.

I will say this, I was pretty careful to make sure the last cover I did was straight, it didn't leak and everything was great. But when I checked it with the tool, it wasn't. It wasn't bad either, but it could have been a hair better. And since I'm doing work for customers, $100 to insure excellence is nothing compared to what a comeback would cost, I could lose that customer..
The following users liked this post:
BRAAPZ (03-09-2021)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
Hi Lxcoupe,

If you follow the instructional videos on our website their is no chance that the tool can cause a leak, even after 30k miles. One mistake that can be made with all these tools you listed, ours included is tightening the oil pan bolts to tight before tightening the cover bolts. Tightening the pan bolts first pulls down on the cover and binds the tool which would misalign the cover. The pan should just be snugged enough so the tool can rotate and is not binding, then torque the cover bolts and then torque the pan bolts.
Another issue would be if you dont leave the white insert in the seal while installing it. That insert keeps the lips on the seal spread so they don't fold in when installing the seal.
Our O-ring design makes for a perfect snug fit no matter the temperature, which can cause expansion/contraction of the tool, crank and covers that will hinder a perfect fit. The O ring design eliminates the problem.
We also offer the tools in a Aluminum Anodized version.

Thank you
Christian
I double checked the manual and it says not to put any oil on the crank surface when installing the seal, lube the outer surface of the seal only. What's your experience, thoughts?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 161 Likes on 131 Posts

trying to learn a little before i decide to assemble the last half of a short block. i like how easy this video makes it look.......is there anything wrong with using the gm tools? id imagine price could be an issue.....start at 20:30