LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Sudden loss of oil pressure, failed pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That is pretty wild. Looks like it flat locked up. Hopefully nothing made it past the filter.

Melling IS-55E is the part number to eliminate the plastic collar. I've been running this thing for years.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

^^^, yep that one or the ARP one.

hopefully the OP drive gear didn't also take a hit, possible the plastic top could crack/break. OP might want to pull the intake and take a look...
Old 04-16-2017, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
^^^, yep that one or the ARP one.

hopefully the OP drive gear didn't also take a hit, possible the plastic top could crack/break. OP might want to pull the intake and take a look...
****** The pump looked to be the original. But yeah, several chunks out of the gears internally and then the drive shaft was completely shredded. Didn't know there was such a thing. I went ahead and used the plastic collar, don't feel like taking the pan and motor mounts back out... And the camshaft drive gear is fine, that is one of the first things I had checked when this problem arose. Didn't install the metal piece for it but that will be something I'll definitely have to do down the road. Anyways, since the pickup was off I am guessing that the pump sucked up some type of debris and it locked the pump up. I will update when I get it back together, just put a hooker aerochamber catback on it to replace my slp lm and I haven't even been able to hear it! I'm pumped!
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

If you haven't already you should get the p/u tack welded onto the pump.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like maybe the pick up fell off, the pump didn't get any lubrication, which fragged the gears, locked up the pump, and blew apart the drive shaft. In a sense, you could say that the plastic collar on the driveshaft acted like a "fuse".....

Quick Reply: Sudden loss of oil pressure, failed pump?