Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Griffin stand up radiator Write-Up/How-To with part #'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried buying an 06 Silverado alternator and the case is much bigger and won't fit when alternator is moved to upper passenger side. Not sure if it would in factory location. May just try putting the derale on a switch as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A question for the original poster, do you have a pic of how and where you welded the 1/2" Aluminium Male Weld On Barb Fitting Bung to on the radiator?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, that would be nice. I have the barb/port, bungs, radiator, etc and I'm about to take it all over to my welder resource. I'm fairly sure where it needs to go but seeing what your positioning shows, I'd be able to convey that to him precisely.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The picture shows the two bungs welded on the top of the radiator....original post.

Is that the bungs you two guys are talking about?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

The port that goes from the steam tube back into the radiator. Under the overflow bottle fitting.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fastcars95
Is there any way to use a custom condenser and lines to keep ac
I have a Huron speed ac kit with a t4 s480.
I don't mind standing up my rad but I don't want to give up the ac.
I stuck one in there
Old 04-22-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For those that stood up their radiators or had a custom radiator made like I did, how much coolant do you use?

Do you use the same amount as with a stock radiator even though the new radiator is bigger?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:21 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Another interesting radiator placement...
Originally Posted by boostedrides
I would like to know how this worked out, and the part# for the rad and fan. I need all of the room I can get in my 93!
That's interesting. Any feedback from Mightymouse? I'm on the fence going vertical but if I can do it and not cut the car up anymore that'd be great too!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Oddly , he responded on 4/3/2017 and left this on my message...

04-03-2017 03:52 PM
MIGHTYMOUSE
i would need to see a picture. if its something i worked on then it cooled ok at least for virgina weather. puller fans always have a better chance of working than pushers imo

But then, after I sent the picture, he didn't respond again...

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 04-17-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oddly , he responded on 4/3/2017 and lefr this on my message...

04-03-2017 03:52 PM
MIGHTYMOUSE
i would need to see a picture. if its something i worked on then it cooled ok at least for virgina weather. puller fans always have a better chance of working than pushers imo

But then, after I sent the picture, he didn't respond again...
It's an AFCO radiatior. Don't know the part number but Keith Breslin is the owner of that car. I just pm'd to see if he's got the part number still. Use bolt in style stock rad fans too.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

THanks for the update! Hope we can find the part numbers and if the car cooled sufficiently.

Originally Posted by SRZ
It's an AFCO radiatior. Don't know the part number but Keith Breslin is the owner of that car. I just pm'd to see if he's got the part number still. Use bolt in style stock rad fans too.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

I looked for '''Breslin" and found this...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...rbo-build.html
A couple of pictures are blurry but the shot of the backside of the fans in place with his radiator placement look very promising.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 AM
11 Second Club

I looked through afco's catalog and found one radiator that could be the one in the picture. https://m.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80107n
Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by josh4ku
I stuck one in there
Josh what condenser did u use ? Customs lines ?
I've been following your build . Very nice setup u have
Old 07-12-2017, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

I ordered my rad today. Can't wait to get it installed.
My stock rad isn't liking the new turbo setup. I had to install the 145 amp truck alternator to power the new fans. The stock alternator couldn't keep up.
What a difference it made
Old 07-12-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How does that Griffin radiator compare to the Griffin 1-58241-xls
Old 09-18-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Purchased everything verbatim the original poster put up.

Impressions...
  • Parts..
  • .. a. I'm not sure what the intended use was for the two O2 bungs I bought and had welded to the top of the radiator. The original poster seems to use them for the mounting straps that hold the top of the radiator in place. However, the two allen bolts he has there can't really have that large (21mm?) thread and screw in there. At least I don't think so. Maybe the bolts just sit down in that cavity of the O2 bungs? I tried finding some thing that would thread into them with an allen head and didn't have any luck. I ended up cutting up my old BMR stainless steel 'cover' that had held my LT1 radiator in place. Works fine.
  • .. b. The 'bibs' on the radiator for the steam pipe return and overflow bottle. The stock hose for the overflow bottle nipple was too large. I had a smaller bit of tubing laying around that I tightly slid over the nipple, the put the overflow bottle tube over that and clamped it down. No leaks. For the steam pipe tube, it was so tight, I almost couldn't get it on the nipple, but finally did after some appropriate cuss words were uttered with enough volume.
  • .. c. It was stated that you could reuse your stock upper radiator hose. That should come with the caveats, "Yes, but It almost won't go on the nipple of the radiator (way tight, I had to cut either side of the hose end so that it would splay open enough to start the hose on there)" and.... the hose is so long for the configuration, you'll either end up with a kink in it or it will lay right on your MAF and Intake elbow, heating them up when it's fully warm
  • .. d. The hubs of the fans rub on the backside of the windshield water reservoir. I had to take the two press plugs off the top mounting points and space the tabs of the water reservoir out to keep the hubs off the bottle.

After I got everything put in place, tightened up and double checked, I filled the radiator with 50/50 coolant mix. I then started it up and , while watching the temp gauge, let it get to the first quarter mark on the engine coolant gauge. I shut it off and went off to do other things while giving it about 4 hours to cool off so I could top off the radiator again. Came back, refilled it, then cautiously drove it around the storage areas drive where I keep the car to see if it would overheat.

Nope! All was good. Took the turbo z28 out on the highway and, after making sure the road was clear, took a couple of 19 psi 2nd gear blasts. Temp stayed inbetween the first tick mark and the first quarter mark. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited by mightyquickz28; 09-19-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchased everything verbatim the original poster put up.

Impressions...
  • Parts..
  • .. a. I'm not sure what the intended use was for the two O2 bungs I bought and had welded to the top of the radiator. The original poster seems to use them for the mounting straps that hold the top of the radiator in place. However, the two allen bolts he has there can't really have that large (21mm?) thread and screw in there. At least I don't think so. Maybe the bolts just sit down in that cavity of the O2 bungs? I tried finding some thing that would thread into them with an allen head and didn't have any luck. I ended up cutting up my old BRM stainless steel 'cover' that had held my LT1 radiator in place. Works fine.
  • .. b. The 'bibs' on the radiator for the steam pipe return and overflow bottle. The stock hose for the overflow bottle nipple was too large. I had a smaller bit of tubing laying around that I tightly slid over the nipple, the put the overflow bottle tube over that and clamped it down. No leaks. For the steam pipe tube, it was so tight, I almost couldn't get it on the nipple, but finally did after some appropriate cuss words were uttered with enough volume.
  • .. c. It was stated that you could reuse your stock upper radiator hose. That should come with the caveats, "Yes, but It almost won't go on the nipple of the radiator (way tight, I had to cut either side of the hose end so that it would splay open enough to start the hose on there)" and.... the hose is so long for the configuration, you'll either end up with a kink in it or it will lay right on your MAF and Intake elbow, heating them up when it's fully warm
  • .. d. The hubs of the fans rub on the backside of the windshield water reservoir. I had to take the two press plugs off the top mounting points and space the tabs of the water reservoir out to keep the hubs off the bottle.
Well hope it wasn't to much trouble.

A. I revised the pieces at the top because I think the link either changed to something else or was misposted. Mine were a different size. I posted the sizes.

B. I never had any issues with either, but it is a tight fit on the fitting that was bought. Still working perfect though a very slightly smaller fitting may be better.

C. Not sure on that one as the hose slipped over my "radiator nipple" with just a little effort and was the perfect length with zero issues on mine. Maybe because yours is an lt1 body style and things may be a bit different?

D. Again I had no fitment issues here. Mine went in perfect.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative of what you put out there. I'm over the moon about the cooling capability. My prior LT1 based radiator, with the stock fans installed as pushers, kept my temps just below the first quarter mark. I was hoping this new setup would control the temps at least to somewhere below the halfway mark. That it's even cooler than the prior setup is fantastic.

I know anytime we do these 'invasive' changes, there's going to be discoveries or differences (I suspect as you do, that the LT1 setup might involve slightly different hose/tubing/nipples and windshield reservoir). Thanks again for the great info you provided.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative of what you put out there. I'm over the moon about the cooling capability. My prior LT1 based radiator, with the stock fans installed as pushers, kept my temps just below the first quarter mark. I was hoping this new setup would control the temps at least to somewhere below the halfway mark. That it's even cooler than the prior setup is fantastic.

I know anytime we do these 'invasive' changes, there's going to be discoveries or differences (I suspect as you do, that the LT1 setup might involve slightly different hose/tubing/nipples and windshield reservoir). Thanks again for the great info you provided.
No problem glad it helped. I'm sure your post will help the next guy who's setup might be a tad bit different as well. I appreciate the feedback!

Quick Reply: Griffin stand up radiator Write-Up/How-To with part #'s