LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission rebuild

I finally got my trans out after a good two days slowly double checking everything. I was surprised how heavy the trans is by itself!

Now I'll disassemble and clean everything up for inspection. Going to order tep stage one rebuild kit and single chain kit with 3:69 ratio.

Does anyone know if the power rack only lines up one way? I'm worried about my steering wheel being off center when I put everything back together
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Show a close up of how and where you have that engine supported , and please include any information that could help others who are interested in attempting this. Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by severancej
I finally got my trans out after a good two days slowly double checking everything. I was surprised how heavy the trans is by itself!

Now I'll disassemble and clean everything up for inspection. Going to order tep stage one rebuild kit and single chain kit with 3:69 ratio.

Does anyone know if the power rack only lines up one way? I'm worried about my steering wheel being off center when I put everything back together
Yeah, the rack only bolts up one way.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I used the bolt holes in the heads as well as the alternator and bracket.
The whole process went pretty smoothly.
I built a platform for my floor jack to support the trans pan pretty evenly.
Unhooked battery
Remove air box and maf tube Remove crossover pipe Undo electrical and shift cable Take the CV nuts off and remove the sway bar links and tie rods. Strap calipers up out of the wayRemove struts and control arms plus knuckle.
Undo all electrical and AC plus power steering clips and ensure subframe is free Remove sway bar and unbolt rack Remove lower bumper panel where fog lights are accessed.
Remove engine and trans mounts from subframe Support engine and trans from above
Drain trans fluid and undo the lines to coolerUnbolt torque converterRemove subframe Support trans from below and remove the trans to engine bracket then bell housing bolts.
Wiggle the trans off and lower it down and out.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job, and thank you, The passenger side was where I was wondering about lift points as there seems to be very little to grab from. Doesn't look fun for sure. I had saved this thread from another forum in the event mine goes, not sure about a couple hours but it looks doable and easier than taking everything out.

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php/topic,2353.0.html
Old 05-22-2017, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

There's been a lot going on but I've managed to get close to final assembly on this transmission. I am hoping everything works out great. I'm in this about 1900 so far.
Complete stage 2 rebuild kit
369 gearset and chain 300 input shaft New forward drum
Channel plate sleeveSonnax servo pin Superior afl valve

The input and second assemblies are the most time consuming pita lots of ingenuity involved here for me to get them done without special tools. Oh don't forget the bushings are a bigger pita haha!!!

Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Well I got the trans finished about a month ago now. It has about 2000 miles on it and feels great. The gear change feels really good for sure.
Now I just need more power. I was thinking a intake manifold and cam but what would be the best bang for the buck?

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild