Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

Hi all, continuing forward with my ls6 powered 1978 restomod build. I installed my 1 7/8 ceramic coated long tube headers and im in need of some suggestions. I am going to run hi flow cats and mufflers, as it's a daily and should not drone. I will add a diverter right after the long tubes so I can scare some people on the road lol.

what mufflers and cats would you suggest?

Where on my long tubes should I place the o2 sensors?

thanks

Old 06-01-2017, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im surprised the headers don't have O2 bungs already welded into the collectors. Place a bung on each collector anywhere on the top 180* of the pipe. You dont want the sensor in the lower radius of the pipe to avoid any exhaust condensation, unburnt fuel, etc from building up on the sensor. As far as cats and mufflers go, I wouldn't even bother with running cats. If whatever mufflers you choose don't provide the tone and noise level you want you can easily add a resonator before each muffler later on. I can't tell what kind of vehicle youre working with from the pics but it looks like you've got plenty of room to run a pair of somewhat large cased mufflers. Dynomax Ultra Flows sound pretty good but have a nice mellow tone and don't drone too bad if you run the pipes all the way out the back. If you want something with a bit more bark, the Dynomax bullets, Magnaflow Bullets or Borla XR-1 are all good choices as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zachm89
Im surprised the headers don't have O2 bungs already welded into the collectors. Place a bung on each collector anywhere on the top 180* of the pipe. You dont want the sensor in the lower radius of the pipe to avoid any exhaust condensation, unburnt fuel, etc from building up on the sensor. As far as cats and mufflers go, I wouldn't even bother with running cats. If whatever mufflers you choose don't provide the tone and noise level you want you can easily add a resonator before each muffler later on. I can't tell what kind of vehicle youre working with from the pics but it looks like you've got plenty of room to run a pair of somewhat large cased mufflers. Dynomax Ultra Flows sound pretty good but have a nice mellow tone and don't drone too bad if you run the pipes all the way out the back. If you want something with a bit more bark, the Dynomax bullets, Magnaflow Bullets or Borla XR-1 are all good choices as well.
I have a lot of room under there, I might fab up a x pipe setup
Old 06-01-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

x pipe with magnaflows will sound good

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions