Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I also run a 4" cowl hood to help get air out faster.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Why have the fans shut down at 20% throttle? My truck will run hot unless the fans are on until I'm doing at 50mph and sometimes it comes on even then. I run the Holley so I have my fans set by temp and speed. Fans are off at 50mph unless the temp is higher than 200 and then the fans will kick on at 100% If it's a hot day or if the road has many hills the fan does kick on here and there.
I'm running MS3 Gold Box and don't have VSS hooked up so I am slowly adjusting as I go. Had it at 10% prior so maybe I'll up it to 30%. I have always understood it as the air coming through will push the blades faster essentially burning out the motor.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:18 PM
TECH Regular

I also run a 4" cowl hood to help get air out faster.
Slight adjustment to stock hood due to boredom
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cyrperformance
I'm running MS3 Gold Box and don't have VSS hooked up so I am slowly adjusting as I go. Had it at 10% prior so maybe I'll up it to 30%. I have always understood it as the air coming through will push the blades faster essentially burning out the motor.
Never heard of that before and I've been using electric fans for probably 35 years, Most were wired to turn on at startup and run 100% until shut down. (pre computer control) I don't see how it can run cool with little to no fans running at less than highway speeds, I know mine won't.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Never heard of that before and I've been using electric fans for probably 35 years, Most were wired to turn on at startup and run 100% until shut down. (pre computer control) I don't see how it can run cool with little to no fans running at less than highway speeds, I know mine won't.
I have never wired one to stay on 100%, nor with a toggle switch. Always have used thermostat and relays. Even the factory ECU shut them off at 35mph and above and turn on below 30.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cyrperformance
I have never wired one to stay on 100%, nor with a toggle switch. Always have used thermostat and relays. Even the factory ECU shut them off at 35mph and above and turn on below 30.
I obviously don't anymore but back then you didn't have a way to control them, Either it was on or off and you could run a 2-speed fan but they never cooled on low so nobody bothered.
On how the stock ecu controls fans :The key word here is stock, You're not running a stock engine and not running stock radiator.
All I know for sure is that thru testing myself my supercharged S10 temp continue to climb unless the fan is programmed to come on by temperature and not speed alone.
If it's cool day they hardly run at any speed but on a hot humid day they run at 80-90% most of the time unless I'm on the highway then they are usually off.
Good luck
Old 07-11-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

I completely understand that I am not running a stock setup so stock settings will not work for everything. The fans do need to shut off once up to speed as they will restrict airflow after a certain point.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 748 Likes on 549 Posts

Def want to ditch those looped heater lines. You can just put something in the "loop" that blocks flow. If it cools at idle and not at cruise you aren't getting enough airflow over your core, or your core is just plain too small for your setup. You may be able to crutch it with a monster fan. But concentrating on getting clean cool airflow over the rad should help.

Looks like alot of area around the radiator that could be sealed off. Also an air deflector on the bottom of the radiator does quite a bit.

Again these are all just little tricks to help. Real issue is the radiator core IMO. Even with all the strikes against the imperfect mounting and poor fan quality... it would be probably be fine with the right core as is

As far as shutting the fan off, it depends on the fan. My car overheats on hot days on the highway with the fan off. The taurus fan on high is enough to cool it on the highway. It pulls more CFM than the radiator gets with the fan off. My setups less than ideal and has a 32x18x4 intercooler blocking a baby 14x14 radiator core 100%

best of luck!

Last edited by Forcefed86; 07-11-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say it's a combination of radiator/fan not being enough. My LS1 s10 has a jegs dual pass, dual core with an intrepid dual speed dual fan and never goes on high and stays very cool.

Quick Reply: Cooling Nightmare!