Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption/Compression test

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil consumption/Compression test

I hope this is the correct section to post this, I have a 01 WS6, the car is a stock bottom end with 67k on it. I have PRC 2.5 heads off of a 5.3 So the compression is higher. The cam is a 235 240 .618 .615 lift on a 111 lsa. I'm buring about a qt of oil every 700 miles and cant figure out where it's going. The car does smoke at WOT So I've been told.... It's running a bit rich currently just changed fuel pumps from stock to a 255 racetronix pump. I have not been retuned since and have been told i shouldnt need to, yet the car smells extremely rich. Headers ory and its dumped right where the catback would connect. Now i feel like a lot of smoke may be coming from the rich condition and unburned fuel. I just got done with doing a compression test. Every cylinder was at 210psi with the exception of #2 that was at 205psi. The car also has an ls6 valley and a catch can installed. I've been told I should now do a leak down test, so I'm going to have to go buy that tester and perform that task later this week. The only other reason I can see the oil consumption from is from the rocker bolts. Since they were cnc'd the rocker bolt holes are no longer blind and open to the combustion chambers? I used blue locktight but wasn't extremely generous with it when installing rockers. You guys have any other ideas to where the oil could be going? Or some other areas to look at? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 08-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe Valve seals?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Rocker Arm Oil Leak

Hi 84GT, I AGREE, a simple task to R&R a Valve Cover.

NOT the Combustion Chambers, the Intake Ports are of concern.

Does the exhaust smoke become excessive when the throttle is Opened/Closed often ?

Lance
Old 08-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I've checked valve seals, the head and cam install has about 10k on it. None of my valve seales are off and all still have the spring on them visually they look perfect. The smoke is only at wot, if I'm just cruising or idling the car has no smoke what so ever. However that being said if I kill it and start it say from getting gas. I'll get a bit of smoke and smell oil from initial start up when hot.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My $20 home depot catch can seems to work well. Might be worth a try

Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are running rich you are washing down the oil with fuel and that will hurt oil consumption.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption/Compression test