Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

968LS1,
Any build threads on your car? That pic looks very good.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Keep in mind that there are constraints/limitations that come with using the rear-biased brackets, the two primary ones being more firewall/tunnel cutting required to install any late-model transmission (such as your T56) and tighter accessory drive clearances.
I just measured and right now I have about 1.5 inches between the passenger side head and the firewall and for slip yoke travel purposes I probably shouldn't go back much further. I'm running truck accessories with the a/c and alt up high so I wouldn't want to move it too much more forward either. I've searched the thread but it's possible I've missed it - how far from the firewall does each mount put the passenger head? I've seen a picture but parallax makes eyeballing it from a photo difficult to say.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

This is the best image I have that depicts the clearance between the passenger side cylinder head and the firewall when using the rear-bias brackets Chuckd71. I don't have a discrete measurement I can provide you as I never measured what it was, I just put the bellhousing mating plane in the stock fore/aft position and moved forward with development of the rear-bias brackets with the engine at that position.

Last edited by Toddoky; 08-21-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Chuck,

If it will be helpful, I can measure from the passenger head to the firewall on my GTO. My set-up is "oldskul." I used Edelbrock adapter plates, ES poly engine mounts, and typical Chevrolet frame stands. According to Edelbrock circa 2008, their plates put the block/bellhousing mating surface in the stock location.

Also, keep in mind that the up and down location of the transmission alters the distance of the head from the firewall. My trans is up as high as it will go.

Andrew
Old 08-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not see a 68-72 A-body, T-56 crossmember on the Holley site yet.

Is this the one that's still in progress ???
Old 08-21-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
I do not see a 68-72 A-body, T-56 crossmember on the Holley site yet.

Is this the one that's still in progress ???
The part number is 71222007HKR. It fits all the transmissions covered in this swap application.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Launching!

thanks Todd

Site must have had issues when I was looking, or maybe I derp'd it.

I saw it there last week but it wasn't there today. I see it there now.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might be overlooking it on the site but where are these parts actually made?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I might be overlooking it on the site but where are these parts actually made?
The Hooker engine brackets and transmission crossmembers are currently U.S. sourced as are the Hooker Blackheart LS swap stainless steel headers and exhaust systems.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool. Any word as to the arrival date of the convertible parts? I'm tempted to buy the exhaust, mid lengths and connector pipe while ebay is having 15% bucks back on auto parts, but without knowing if/when the crossmember is coming I'm concerned doing so might be a mistake on my part.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Cool. Any word as to the arrival date of the convertible parts? I'm tempted to buy the exhaust, mid lengths and connector pipe while ebay is having 15% bucks back on auto parts, but without knowing if/when the crossmember is coming I'm concerned doing so might be a mistake on my part.
The only part that will be convertible/El Camino specific will be the transmission crossmember. I'm still pushing the paperwork for it, so by that measure I don't expect it to be available anytime before the end of next month at the earliest.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have to ask will it ever get built ?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1973 STEP A SIDE
So I have to ask will it ever get built ?
Yes it will, we've never not released a part that I've previewed on a swap thread. The crossmember just got pushed to the back burner earlier this year due to unforeseen issues that arose with other project...nothing more, nothing less. I'm usually working on two to three swap platforms at a time and this sometimes happens during the course of that work.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Yes it will, we've never not released a part that I've previewed on a swap thread. The crossmember just got pushed to the back burner earlier this year due to unforeseen issues that arose with other project...nothing more, nothing less. I'm usually working on two to three swap platforms at a time and this sometimes happens during the course of that work.
Just like chuckd I think a lot of people are a little reluctant to buy the kit and then wait for an unknown time of completion of said kit .
Old 08-30-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I understand, as users of these products its up to all of us as individuals to determine our level of interest and/or faith in a particular product. On my end as an employee of Holley there's no way to speed up, or circumvent the standard required documentation/process to release a product, but I do understand the frustration that comes with waiting for something you have interest in using on a project.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

. I'm still pushing the paperwork for it, so by that measure I don't expect it to be available anytime before the end of next month at the earliest.
That's cool and I don't doubt it will get released at some point but looking back we had pretty much this same conversation over a year ago. Before your bosses start something new it would be nice to finish things already started. The crossmember is the only thing that makes the rest worth buying in my case, and I was wanting to buy everything before manufacturing inevitably ends up overseas (at which point I won't even consider it, especially if/when they keep prices at US-labor levels). Regardless, hopefully it won't turn into vaporware. Thanks for your efforts
Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

This one is all on me as I had to make the call to push it aside in order to deal with unforeseen design issues that cropped up during the S95 and Fox body Mustang systems development.

This won't happen in the future as I'll be sharing less development-level information on swap systems going forward...meaning the parts will be much closer to release before I say anything about them. It's a double-edged sword as letting guys know what's in the works can be beneficial to a lot of guys in the planning stages of their swaps, but it also opens up the possibility of things like this happening, which isn't a positive experience for potential users of the products, or for guys like myself who design/develop them.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

This one is all on me as I had to make the call to push it aside in order to deal with unforeseen design issues that cropped up during the S95 and Fox body Mustang systems development.

This won't happen in the future as I'll be sharing less development-level information on swap systems going forward...meaning the parts will be much closer to release before I say anything about them. It's a double-edged sword as letting guys know what's in the works can be beneficial to a lot of guys in the planning stages of their swaps, but it also opens up the possibility of things like this happening, which isn't a positive experience for potential users of the products, or for guys like myself who design/develop them.

I for one appreciate knowing you will be putting one out in the future, I got enough info on how it affects the trans location so I can move into doing the floors without using the other alternatives
Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Hang in there ycgoat, it's coming.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Launching!

This thread is about to fall onto the 4th page .

Any word on that crossmember ??

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview