Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

ACT Twin

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts
Default ACT Twin

Anyone here running a ACT twin disc setup?

I'm looking at a T1S-G02 setup.

How do you like it? How is the chatter/neutral rattle?

Is it easy to drive in heavy traffic? Strange question I know but some are better than others.

What slave did you use? Monster billet bearing?

Longevity of the setup?

Basically any feedback before I buy it?

-Byron
Old 08-23-2017, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm fairly certain that's the model number I used to run on mine; I have it sitting in my basement, will try to remember to take a look after work today. I ran it with an LS7 slave, but killed 2 of those in something like 10k miles, so in hindsight my dimensional stack-up probably wasn't quite right. [As an aside, I wasn't aware of that Monster billet bearing support. Both of my LS7 slaves died because the plastic factory part disintegrated. Wish I had known there was an upgrade available.]

I had no complaints about the ACT. However, after the 2nd LS7 slave failure, a shop convinced me to do an RPS/Tilton slave, as they had had success with that setup on Camaros and Vettes. I was apparently the first CTS-V that RPS did, and they insisted I had to go to an RPS clutch, so out came the ACT. I much preferred the ACT to the RPS, and whenever my transmission comes out, I plan to put the ACT back in.

I don't know if I'm deaf or what, but I've had 3 different twin disk setups (Fidanza, ACT, and RPS) and have never heard any chatter or neutral rattle. Maybe I just don't know what I'm supposed to be listening for? My recollection is that the ACT had lighter pedal effort than the RPS, and it was easier to modulate; that's my main complaint with the RPS - firm pedal and aggressive clutch makes it difficult to get rolling smoothly. That wasn't the case with the ACT.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been guided towards the T1S-G05 vs the G02 as allegedly it's way more Street friendly/traffic happy.

I'm waiting to call ACT directly. Carolina clutches advises a stock slave for the dual mass oem setup vs an ls7.

-Byron
Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Mine's more buried in the basement than I remembered, so I didn't break it out, but I did verify by searching back in the forum that it is the T1S-G02.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Mine's more buried in the basement than I remembered, so I didn't break it out, but I did verify by searching back in the forum that it is the T1S-G02.

Did some research. I have screenshot the difference between the -05 and -02.

The reason you probably kept killing ls7 slave is because it's designed to work with the oem plus their provided spacer. This may well have been the reason.

If running the -05 it's a slightly heavier flywheel and rotating assessmbley and a slightly different shim arrangement. The -02 is specifically designed for our car, however both will work ok. Run a ls7 slave with the -05 and life is good. Run a OEM (C6?) Slave with the -02 plus their spacer. I'm going this route plus a billet bearing.

I'm going to go to with the G-02 setup and save a few lbs and have one specific to the car/trans.

I may run Jayson's tilton slave. Not 100% but most likely I'll do the oem slave and maybe swap in the tilton at a later time when I have a bigger budget.

What I do know is that 100% this is the direction I want to go with the ACT twin.

-Byron

Last edited by Byron; 08-26-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AAIIIC

When you do reinstall the ACT setup, will you stay with the tilton 6000 adjustible throw out?

It looks pretty slick, expensive, but maybe the answer to the crap hydraulics issues I and many others seem to keep having.

-Byron
Old 12-13-2017, 05:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just to update, it's a beautiful clutch setup.

I ended up getting the T1S-G02 kit.

I ran the tilton bearing and had issues. Dropped the trans and set it up a second time and it started pissing fluid. It was a ton of various hydraulic Gremlins, so I ditched the willwood master and the tilton bearing.

​​​​​​For the record I have nothing bad to say about either of the items. Just didn't play well with my car, myself or my new clutch setup.

Switched to centric stock master and centric stock V slave and used the included spacer.

After several thousand miles this thing has become a absolute joy to drive, even in heavy traffic.

If you are looking for a twin, this is a really good kit. My car now drives like I feel it should, is predictable and repeatable and revs really fast with the lighter rotating mass.

It will hold way more power than I will ever throw at it, and the daily 1 hr plus commute is a hell of a lot less annoying.

-Byron
Old 12-13-2017, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Byron
Just to update, it's a beautiful clutch setup.

I ended up getting the T1S-G02 kit.

I ran the tilton bearing and had issues. Dropped the trans and set it up a second time and it started pissing fluid. It was a ton of various hydraulic Gremlins, so I ditched the willwood master and the tilton bearing.

​​​​​​For the record I have nothing bad to say about either of the items. Just didn't play well with my car, myself or my new clutch setup.

Switched to centric stock master and centric stock V slave and used the included spacer.

After several thousand miles this thing has become a absolute joy to drive, even in heavy traffic.

If you are looking for a twin, this is a really good kit. My car now drives like I feel it should, is predictable and repeatable and revs really fast with the lighter rotating mass.

It will hold way more power than I will ever throw at it, and the daily 1 hr plus commute is a hell of a lot less annoying.

-Byron
Good info. This clutch was on my list to purchase to get back to good driveability. It looks like you've confirmed that. (I'm still currently on stock clunky clutch)

Quick Reply: ACT Twin