Sponsored by:

MWC 8 point roll bar install questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MWC 8 point roll bar install questions

Hey guys,

Dropped my car off to a local chassis shop that is run by a friend of a friend today. I completely stripped the interior for him.

I purchased a MWC 8 point roll bar pre-notched, and he is going to be welding it up for me tomorrow/thursday. This shop specializes in circle track stuff, so I sent him a link to MWC site's install photos for reference points. I opted to add the additional rear "x" bar to my kit. I am looking for a photo or two to send him with that option installed as I haven't been able to find one.

I am also curious, now thinking about it more in depth and that I have pulled it all apart, what is the best way to fit the carpet back in place without damaging it too much?? The rear down tubes off the main hoop to the tunnel are what concern me the most!! I don't mind cutting a few slits in the carpet close to the rockers and near the package tray where the rest of the bars meet the chassis, but the down tubes to the tunnel are dead center... How has anyone cut the carpet around those?? Any help greatly appreciated!! I am hoping to have interior back together thursday night or friday morning.

Please let me know, and photos are always a plus!! Thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

For the carpet, lay it out in the garage/driveway wherever you got room to get it laid out flat. Fold both sides into the center then fold them on to each other. Then have someone give you a hand and feed the carpet in length wise though the hatch. Get console hole lined up as best as possible and start unfolding the front. Get the front lined up with the seat bolt holes then focus on the diagonal braces to tunnel and making sure the carpet is still lined up with front seat bolt holes. Can't help with there x brace as I built my own cage, here's a pic of how I cut my carpet. I think their main hoop and braces are a little more forward than mine but you should still cut the carpet to where it's already cut for the rear seats.

The following users liked this post:
fucter (11-26-2021)
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

That's an awesome reply. Very very helpful. Thanks a lot!! Love this site.

by the way, looks like some sunset orange metallic poking through there...mine too. Love that color.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Be sure to post up some pics whenever you get it back.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club

Got it back tonight a couple hours ago. Headliner is still out, big car shows in my area this weekend. Adirondack Nationals on Friday and Saturday and Guptils year end cruise in on Monday. So I got a couple drops of paint on the bars just for good measure and slapped the interior half way back in. Unfortunately to thoroughly properly paint this thing I'll be removing it all again but I wanted to make it out for the weekend. All in all, I am so very happy. MWC sent an awesome product. Fitment was excellent. I can't list exact prices as I was done a hell of a favor, but I was charged next to nothing for the work to install and there were two very tiny cancer spots on the floor that he patched and fixed for me too. They were just behind the front seats one actually rusted through. You can see it on drivers side in photo. If anyone in my area needs work, Stone Motorsports on route 5S in Rotterdam Junction NY will absolutely take care of you and do an excellent job!!

What a bitch climbing in and out of this thing now LOL

I havent had time to install my G-Force harnesses yet and to make my power seat work properly some modifications will need to be made to the MWC crotch strap bracket or my seat tracks. But my welder did a fantastic job in a very quick timeframe. Few pics, sorry most are at night after I tossed stuff back in. I'll be doing a much better job at adjusting the carpet and getting everything to fit better once I get it painted. But for now here's a few pics...

Last edited by allblackedout5; 09-08-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good pics. Looks like it fits pretty good
Old 09-08-2017, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Install does look good. It might be the angle the pics are taken but it looks like the door bars and cross bar are a little high. Nothing wrong with it just makes the jungle gym harder to climb through.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

It did fit pretty well it seems, I'm happy. I do agree, I think he may have put them just a little bit high, but he said that was best placement for my body's seating in the car and for the bends in the door bars to clear the door interior skins/handles. As I sit in my normal position in the driver seat, the door bar basically crosses my torso dead center between my shoulder and elbow basically.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:37 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The install looks like they did a really nice job.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
The install looks like they did a really nice job.
Thanks! I'm extremely pleased. I'll let him know your thoughts, I'm sure it will be nice for him to hear that the manufacturer of this cage thought he did a good job putting it in. He told me the fitment and cuts on this thing were outstanding and made it a really simple install for him. I think the only thing he changed was the plates for the main hoop, instead of bending the small part down that hangs over the bump in the floor, he cut it to fit the contour of the floor there, the rest fell right into place.

Last edited by allblackedout5; 09-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our new machine should insure that the fitment of the cages should be perfect every time.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great to hear on fitment, I'll be purchasing this over the winter. Just got my front Viking coilovers from midwest, quick shipping!
Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Cartel
Great to hear on fitment, I'll be purchasing this over the winter. Just got my front Viking coilovers from midwest, quick shipping!
Midwest has been outstanding both Product and customer service wise. They've earned my business forever. I had absolutely planned on picking up a tubular front end and manual rack with coilovers from them this winter too...but I found a guy parting out his build recently and picked up his. Couldn't pass up the deal, but I'll be sure to go to MWC for any other future needs.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on! Can't beat some of those part out deals!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Looks great. I'll be calling MWC in a week or two to get mine. Rare to see a car without a trap door lol
Old 09-22-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

have i seen your car around? amsterdam here and work in albany and drive my 99 formula a bunch if i can .
Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigAL383
Looks great. I'll be calling MWC in a week or two to get mine. Rare to see a car without a trap door lol
LOL no trap door, I was close to doing it but I just grabbed a buddy and wrestled the tank in and out I didn't want to cut the floor up. I may need to pull my 255 and go up to a 340 for next season so now I'm not looking forward to pulling this damn tank again I know that.

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
have i seen your car around? amsterdam here and work in albany and drive my 99 formula a bunch if i can .
Yea probably! I don't travel out your way too often, but I live and work in Rotterdam..drive my car whenever I can, hell i take it to Walmart and Price Chopper. Plenty of room for cargo now that the back seats are out lol. I'll be at Pep Boys on Central Ave. near Kohl's/Harbor Freight Plaza in Colonie tonight.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

sorry for the night time photos again! But I got my harnesses installed. Very happy with the outcome :

Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks good, but that's a pretty steep angle on your harnesses down to the harness bar. Where do your shoulders land in relation to the strap holes in your seats?
Old 09-26-2017, 10:03 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
Looks good, but that's a pretty steep angle on your harnesses down to the harness bar. Where do your shoulders land in relation to the strap holes in your seats?
Tops of My shoulders lay just a bit below the center of the opening for the harness holes. I don't know what you mean about the angle, maybe it's the photo? They come just a tiny bit up from cross bar through seat holes. Maybe a couple inches at most.

Quick Reply: MWC 8 point roll bar install questions