Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Low 1.2x and high 1.1x 60 foot tips! Rear lca angles? Tq arm angles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 450 Likes on 235 Posts

Unfortunately I do not have any videos from the first of 3 weekends I went out for testing. BUT the car was really low. IT was planting very hard and pulling tire. But was bouncing back down and blowing the tires off 30-40 feet out. It didnt feel very stable down the track and my control arms were running uphill from the car body to the rear end about 1 degree.
I raised the car about 1.5 inches as many people told me I should aim for -2 degrees downhill towards the rear end to get a better instant center. Which makes sense totally.

After I raised the car and adjusted all of the pinion angle the car spun on the hit unless I left on zero boost and worked into the throttle. I bested a 1.40-1.41 on 128 trap 1/8th power and 1.47 with 138 power.
Car is 100 times smoother the rest of the track after changes though.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the only thing I have from the night it never spun on the line but was spinning about 30 feet out. Also was sketchy down the track. Possibly due to cooler temps.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

well, I see some confliction in your setup. The geometry and such that you have one there are great for a radial tire car. Unfortunately, they work against used on a slick. From those videos it looks like it is hitting the tire very hard and the tire cannot hold it. If you are going to stay on a slick, you will need to re-work your geometry and flatten out that control arm angle. You will want to induce a small amount of squat and raise compression to keep pressure to the tire. Switching to a radial with your current configuration would probably net you some good gains in 60' times

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually if a car will hook hard of the line and then blow the tires off it shock settings.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
well, I see some confliction in your setup. The geometry and such that you have one there are great for a radial tire car. Unfortunately, they work against used on a slick. From those videos it looks like it is hitting the tire very hard and the tire cannot hold it. If you are going to stay on a slick, you will need to re-work your geometry and flatten out that control arm angle. You will want to induce a small amount of squat and raise compression to keep pressure to the tire. Switching to a radial with your current configuration would probably net you some good gains in 60' times
You are extremely correct. I had the angles about parallel to the earth and that was the best it worked. Everyone kept telling me to move the control arms down and I did. Changed the car more and more. IT didnt improve but shifted where it sucked at lol.

I am and will switch to the radial. The car has always worked best on a radial. I ran a few no prep races this summer on the slick and it did surprisingly well. But once back at the track it is total ****.

Raised the car a slight amount more just to see. lca angle is -4 degrees towards the axle now. Feels like a truck but Ill work it it from there on out.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
Usually if a car will hook hard of the line and then blow the tires off it shock settings.
I kid you not I tried nearly every shock setting combination from full loose to tight. It made small differences but nowhere did it work. Thats what I was under the impression with this whole time. But this is my first time setting up a car trapping over 159 so Im not certain. There is a lot to it. Im open and willing to learn!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Menscers installed and I welded the shock perch closer to the axle to clear the shock.
First A-B

Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Track was coming and going so I didnt want to get greedy. So I stayed soft of boost on the first 2 seconds of the pass. Summer comes around Ill get back to it

Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info in this thread...love following your tech threads OP.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
Good info in this thread...love following your tech threads OP.
Thanks man. I really hate mis information so I try my hardest to make sure I am putting out stuff that is happening. Even if it is just me and not the car!
Happy as hell I got it working decent!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

So just to summarize so I know I'm not misunderstanding, but out of all the ride height and arm angle changes you made, the only thing that really did it was going from the Vikings to the Menscers?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by handyandy
So just to summarize so I know I'm not misunderstanding, but out of all the ride height and arm angle changes you made, the only thing that really did it was going from the Vikings to the Menscers?
I did go back to the radial and I firmly believe that was big help. Combination of shocks made for the radial and the radial. I made the brackets a little less angled since the shock body would rub the axle.
The Quick performance Axles are known to be a fair value and true OEM bolt in. So the menscers didnt clear the top of the mount location due to the axle putting an angle on them.

But Night and Day difference between the tire and shock.

Still basically the same Lower control arm angle of -2 towards axle with me in the car. Bmr extreme Tq arm is just where it belongs without even measuring it.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I mean I was a whopping 8 passes into the car this weekend. It was a vacation that I took the car to florida for.

In the spring I will get right to work on the car. Ill get it in the mid to high 1.1x's and add some power in first gear.

It only left on 5.5 psi in first and averaged 15/16 psi in first gear. 24.5-26.6 psi in 2nd.

Quick Reply: Low 1.2x and high 1.1x 60 foot tips! Rear lca angles? Tq arm angles?