Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

97 S10 with 6.0, 224 Isky JFR cam, S482 turbo, Powerglide, 9" rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"friend their Gold Boxes off the TB"

Is this " Fried their boxes because of the trany brake" ?

Seems to be an issue with them and I didn't know about it.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Huge voltage spikes can come off the brake, 2-steps and other electronics are supposed to use a diode as well when being tied into the brake
Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, the latest update. I got the truck running again with the repaired MS3 Gold box. Everything seemed good to go and headed to the track. Made 1 pass. Shut it off and the stripe and towed it back to check the plugs. All plugs had gone super lean for some reason. I didn't get a log of the run because I installed a trigger switch on my dash and just plain forgot to hit it. Fired it back up and headed to the lanes for another run with all new plugs and a small tune change. When I turned on my lights I saw that it only had 8psi oil pressure at idle, so I turned around and headed back to the pit and had 3 psi when I shut it off. Puled the engine and found 3 bad rod bearings, a couple others going bad and all 3 inner crank bearings were toast. It looks like the #6 cylinder was going first and may have caused all the other damage. Remember this is the cylinder I lost the injector driver for a pass before. Odd coincidence. It also appears that the crank may have been flexing on me due to the main bearing damage. It also had the #4 crank cap cracked. I also found during the disassembly, that the shop that built it didn't have the oil pump spacer correct and that was surely staring it for oil during the runs.

So, I took everything to Houston today to H Squared race engines. Its getting a new 4" stroke K1 crank, K1 H Beam rods and a set of Wiseco boost pistons. Also getting ARP main studs while we are at it. It will be fully machined, blueprinted and built. They even take the new cranks to have them checked for straightness not to mention a lot of other things that most shops do not do. I am excited to get this truck going again and let it really eat and not have to worry about the boost level. I'll be looking for another turbo soon to make more power. Im not real happy about the damage that may be the result of a bad build but this is going to be a good relationship with H Squared. Halsten is going to help me make some cash at these no prep races next year. Other True Street guys were telling me it was a top 4 vehicle already, I cant wait to lay down some passes with several hundred more ponies.

Here are a few pics of the carnage. The crank and rods are salvageable but Im not going to put turned parts in an engine of this power level.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Sorry for the luck, that's a stinker! That oil pump spacer is cute! Kinda why I tell people to leave the engines alone... It seems crap like that happens every time a take an engine to a machine shop.

Sure you don't want to grab an aftermarket block while your at it? All those nice rotating parts in a block that flexes seems like a bad idea!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, I wish I could afford the added 2500 for the LSX block. Hopefully this will stay together ok for me. I hear about 1300 crank is about their limits.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the last pass it made. Launched decent, spun, shifted I think and finally hooked up. Track was very windy for temps in the 50s so it was pretty slick. hit the rev limiter at about 800ft and still ran a 9.68 to the 1/4 with a it chewing the bottom end up and maybe a bad hole.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

A little update on the engine rebuild. Its going to end up being a 402. We found a main cap on my block was cracked so the shop had a another seasoned block that's stock bore which is better for my build, stronger sleeves. Crank and rods are here, the Wiseco pistons will be ordered Monday. If the heads haven't been cut before it will be at 10.17 CR. If they have been cut then he will try to find a piston to get me right at 10.1 I cant wait..
Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

It's your money but if it were my money going into this new build I would start with less boost and a conservative tune and slowly bring the power level up. It's easy to throw a ton of boost at it but it's also very easy to melt down the best pistons. A friend of mine thought that because he bought all the best (aka expensive)parts that he could beat on it right away, Motor didn't last a month, He tried blaming it on the machine shop/bad part/his dog basically anyone but himself for not slowing down and taking the time to get his tune dialed in before he went for max power.

Love the truck, I have a 2000 S10 6.0 with LSA supercharger 6-spd that's a daily driver but it's heavy, I would love to strip it down to lose some weight but it would make it less enjoyable to drive on the street daily. Any idea what your truck weighs?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

We did that, but yes we were still tuning it. It will go back to the Dyno to be tuned again now that I have everything being controlled correctly. I have to figure out why it went way lean on this last run though. Both pumps run and have good pressure. The problem is I didnt get a data log on this pass which was my fault. Weight is currently 3325 but will be down to 3000 soon. This is min weight for True Street.

Quick Reply: 97 S10 with 6.0, 224 Isky JFR cam, S482 turbo, Powerglide, 9" rear