LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

The garage ornament is now a DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's more pictures of the wagon wheels, c6 wheels and OZ Monte Carlos and the separate thread about that adventure.

The OZ Monte Carlos are on it now. Here's the thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-dilemma.html
Old 12-02-2017, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Watched an episode of Dirt Every Day last night where Fred and Freiburger and Peiwey freed up a seized motor in a 50 jeep by soaking it in PB Blaster and beating it with a breaker bar and chiseled rust off the cylinder walls with a screwdriver through the plug hole.

Motivated me to see if I could spin over my 355 and it broke free with very little force thanks to the PB and WB40 I soaked it in last year before wrapping it in trash bags. The walls are not that bad, my fingernail doesn't catch anything and when soaked in PB it pools forever on the rings and doesn't leak by, to the point that part of me wants to run it as is...... but the other part thinks it needs a dingleberry hone and new rings. Decisions decisions.

The side that didn't have water in it

The bad 3 on the driver side

Also rediscovered the LS1 front brake setup my brother got me about a year ago when I was stumbling through the garage. Just need some junkyard spindles.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 12-02-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It wouldn’t hurt to hone and re ring but if it feels smooth then you should be safe to run it as is.. By the time that motor fires up it’s problaby gonna self clean those walls.. Looks like it got discolored a little from condensation.. Maybe you can do a bench compression test with a remote starter after you get some heads on it and stuff..
Old 12-04-2017, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Awesome, thanks for that! If you need LS1 spindles I have a set and could probably source you another for pretty cheap compared to e-bay prices. Old dominion moved down to Spotsylvania, right off 95. Bit a hike for you, even me. the drag strip isn't open yet but they do grudge type, no prep, "street outlaw" type **** during the week. Haven't made it to an event yet though. Took my brothers car to Mason Dixon this summer for a few test & tunes, that was always a good time. I'll dig through our shop box, might have a hone if santa don't bring ya one. Odd's are it would be fine, but if you've got more time then money, makes a good little weekend to pop it all apart clean and reinstall. Essentially what I did with the short block I got for my turd. Found two rod bearings that didn't look very good to me but crank was fine and nothing else looked messed up so ordered a couple of $1.76 rod bearings and slammed it back together.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

I was going to make a junkyard trip this winter at some point and look for a few odd and ends I need for various cars, but if you have a set of spindles cheap I'd gladly take them off your hands. I haven't heard or seen anything about test n tunes at the new place in spotsylvania, I love MIR but it's hike now and always gets packed early.

I've been researching cleaning the shortblock, I need to swap it onto my engine stand which is currently holding the other shortblock and start trying to clean it assembled. Ideally I would just slap some 0.026" gaskets, stock head bolts or ARP head bolts on it, new timing chain and go. The tune I got with the cam was for a 383 and 42lb injectors, I can change the ci in the tune to 355, and am trying to figure out if it's easier to get 42lb injectors or get 30s and change the injector size in the tune. The tune would get me close, but I know it'll have to be tweaked. Really I just need a clutch, injectors, gaskets, timing chain, an ALDL cable, and it should be good to go. Plus a quieter exhaust and tires eventually.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Prolly throw a 2 foot glasspack style on to quiet it down. Do you have cats on it?

Having no money for stuff sucks. No time also sucks.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I was going to make a junkyard trip this winter at some point and look for a few odd and ends I need for various cars, but if you have a set of spindles cheap I'd gladly take them off your hands. I haven't heard or seen anything about test n tunes at the new place in spotsylvania, I love MIR but it's hike now and always gets packed early.

I've been researching cleaning the shortblock, I need to swap it onto my engine stand which is currently holding the other shortblock and start trying to clean it assembled. Ideally I would just slap some 0.026" gaskets, stock head bolts or ARP head bolts on it, new timing chain and go. The tune I got with the cam was for a 383 and 42lb injectors, I can change the ci in the tune to 355, and am trying to figure out if it's easier to get 42lb injectors or get 30s and change the injector size in the tune. The tune would get me close, but I know it'll have to be tweaked. Really I just need a clutch, injectors, gaskets, timing chain, an ALDL cable, and it should be good to go. Plus a quieter exhaust and tires eventually.
They would post on their FB page weekly about the events but that's pretty much all wrapped up for now with the cooler weather. I'll try and dig the spindles out this week and let you know. Since you're always prowling CL it seems, if you happen to come across a cowl hood for our cars, send it my direction
Old 12-04-2017, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

It has an 18" magnaflow bullet hanging off the Y pipe now, Im looking for a cheap catback and Ill keep the magnaflow in the I pipe and combined with the catback muffler should be real quiet, then put a cutout in for track days. Kids eat all your time and money.

biketopia, ill keep an eye out, I scored this hood below for $100 a year ago, its bolt on but doesnt clear my LS1 lid but Im going to get it sorted out because I love the look, the 20lb weight savings and the idea of the heat extractors.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn that's a hell of a score! I appreciate it, I'll PM you when I find the spindles.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 AM
12 Second Club

So between kids, lots of traveling for work, and a new boat project, the car has not been driven more than 50 feet since March of 2017. We went to visit my parents in NC this past week and forgot my wife’s g35 keys at their house, so in order to get to work today the car is coming out from hibernation. I took someone’s advice last fall to fill the car with dryer sheets and it deterred the mice and smelled like lavender when I took off the cover. It’s been wedged behind a tree in the gravel with wood under the rear end and front driver A arm so when the tires go flat they don’t sit on the rim. I moved the boat last night, aired up the tires, connected the battery and it fired right up. Hoping the tires hold enough to get to work and the airport tomorrow, will bring a little pump Incase they go soft when I get home at midnight Thursday. The boat has been an adventure, I bought the 200 evinrude from my uncle for $800 in CT, the hull for $2000 with a blown Suzuki in DE, and then a 2000 ez loader tandem axle disk brake trailer for $1250 in Chesapeake VA. The gauges are hacked for now to get it running, but I’ve got it completely wired, mounted, gas tank drained, and am hooking up the fuel line away from firing it up. It’s a 1987 Grady white tournament 190 dual console with a 20” transom, so the 2000 25” shaft evinrude 200 is mounted on a jack plate. Also added dual sleeper seats, this motor ran 52-54mph on my uncles 1990 Grady tournament 190 (25” transom) and has only 400 hours.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 05-29-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 AM
12 Second Club

Old 05-29-2018, 04:37 AM
12 Second Club

You can see the back of the covered Camaro behind the boat in this pic.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 05-29-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well this thread gives me a little more encouragement to finish up my ride, I built the motor almost 6 years ago and it only has app 10 miles on the motor, and all 1/4 mile passes, one thing after another broke, drive shaft, tranny, ect. finally fixed all issues tuned it and was ready to go, should of been happy with 806 HP, but no, I had larger headers and down pipe made and the tune went to crap, tried it again and had air fuel issues so she sat. I do start it every once in awhile, but I need to just take it back and get it done. After reading all of your issues and your persistence I should be ashamed of myself for letting her sit, especially when Im tuning everyone else ride.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

I made it to work, running a little rough which I’m guessing is the nearly 2 year old gas, filled it with new 93 and a bottle of injector cleaner. Tried to call into a conference call on the way in and they made me drop off because the car is so loud. I did pick up a magnaflow catback a while ago that I need to put on. I swear my back has been killing me lately and I sat in the seat and now it’s fixed, the car is therapeutic in many ways.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:58 AM
12 Second Club

Update: Found a house we like, so we started the process of listing ours. We put it up as “coming soon” with 1 picture for 35k over what the realtor thought we’d get because I had so much work to do and we figured it would take a few months (heat pump dead, roof leak, bathroom not done, etc). 2 days later the house is torn apart and realtor callls saying we have a showing in 1 hour. Frantically pack up the kids and go to leave, wife backs into the showing realtors 80k brand new Lexus. ****. Geico is handling it.

Next day I fly to Louisiana for work and I get a call we have an offer, they want to close March 7th (this was last Tuesday 2/12). I’m firing up my laptop on layovers, counter offers, signing ****, getting preapprovals, put offer in on the house we like, both are accepted, close March 7th with up to 7 days rent back so my mortgage company has time to get **** in place. Also don’t want to be homeless with 2 kids so I’ll have access to both houses for hopefully a couple days to shuttle stuff to the new house. I spent this past weekend replacing about 30sq ft of my roof to fix the leak, drywalling bathrooms and ceilings, replacing tiles and regrouting the kitchen, and replaced the capacitor in the heat pump so that’s fixed. Heads up to DIYers, they won’t sell you a capacitor or heat pump parts if your not a contractor, but I asked him the part number and ordered it for 1/3 the cost off Amazon prime with next day shipping while standing at the counter.

New house has a 2 car attached 21x20 garage, and is 5 years old so no broken ****. Very excited to have more space to work and a garage that will hold heat. I went to move the Camaro out of the garage so I can get stuff out of the rafters and the dry rotted tres have all gone flat. Going to fill them with fix a flat and hope it starts and drive it the 4 miles to the new house where she’ll get parked and HOPEFULLY finally start the 355 swap and be able to DD it again.

New neighborhood has a vicious HOA, I can’t park the boat in the driveway, garbage cans have to be hidden, no lawn equipment out, etc, and there’s no shed yet. The house has the most private lot and is off the road so hopefully my neighbors will **** off for the most part, but I need to install the magnaflow catback to quiet it down. It’s amazing how much crap you accumulate, you dong realize how much useless spare car parts you’ve kept until you have to move.

Last edited by bufmatmuslepants; 02-26-2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Just wondering the other day what happened to you. HOA? In Warrenton? Ours was $15 a year and they didn't have any rules other than no trailers in the driveway, which was ignored, but I lived in a place where everyone was sensible so there were never any complaints. I know some of those areas have HOA's like the ******* Gestapo and are as expensive as a car payment. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.
Who wouldn't sell you a capacitor? I bought one from a supply line in my town no problems.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Just wondering the other day what happened to you. HOA? In Warrenton? Ours was $15 a year and they didn't have any rules other than no trailers in the driveway, which was ignored, but I lived in a place where everyone was sensible so there were never any complaints. I know some of those areas have HOA's like the ******* Gestapo and are as expensive as a car payment. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.
Who wouldn't sell you a capacitor? I bought one from a supply line in my town no problems.
Ferguson in Manassas wouldnt sell me the capacitor. The community is Brookside here in Warrenton, HOA is about $90 a month, and it is really strict about garbage cans and grass length and I have to submit an application just to put up a trampoline and blah blah blah, but it has a couple community pools and playgrounds and tons of kids around, and the house we bought is right next to 2 close friends with kids my daughters age. Ultimate goal is to find an acre of land around here for $20-30,000, and put up a pole barn and use that to store the boat, camaro, and do hooligan things when I need to escape from the HOA, but thats probably not for another year at least.

Are you back in NOVA or still out west?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Are you back in NOVA or still out west?
Nah. Still out west. Won't go back if I can help it. I don't like the direction the "Commonwealth" is taking.
You best hurry up and get that land. I thought I remember hearing Warrenton is exploding right now? Congrats on the new house.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the new house man! Hopefully that HOA keeps to them selves for the most part. Pretty sure you came by my house a few months back and picked up some LS1 spindles from the facebook group haha. If you want to unload that cowl hood and make some room, I could probably take it off your hands!! Furgesons can be a complete pain the ***. We deal with them all time with all our different departments at the water authority, and they often get on their high horse about not selling to someone from a different department. Oh well, they lost their own sale and saved you a few bucks in the end.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I made it to work, running a little rough which I’m guessing is the nearly 2 year old gas, filled it with new 93 and a bottle of injector cleaner. Tried to call into a conference call on the way in and they made me drop off because the car is so loud. I did pick up a magnaflow catback a while ago that I need to put on. I swear my back has been killing me lately and I sat in the seat and now it’s fixed, the car is therapeutic in many ways

Sounds like you work with some real party animals. This thread is a little like my relationship with my C5. Since I got the race car, I have zero time to fix the C5 and it's in excellent shape minus the need to have the clutch balanced, rebuild torque tube, unfuckulate 2nd gear, and put tires on it. So sad. I'm just glad I can afford to let it sit like you do yours, to hell with selling it. Every time I take a rip to the gas station it puts a smile on my face.
Update: Found a house we like, so we started the process of listing ours. We put it up as “coming soon” with 1 picture for 35k over what the realtor thought we’d get because I had so much work to do and we figured it would take a few months (heat pump dead, roof leak, bathroom not done, etc). 2 days later the house is torn apart and realtor callls saying we have a showing in 1 hour. Frantically pack up the kids and go to leave, wife backs into the showing realtors 80k brand new Lexus. ****. Geico is handling it.

Next day I fly to Louisiana for work and I get a call we have an offer, they want to close March 7th (this was last Tuesday 2/12). I’m firing up my laptop on layovers, counter offers, signing ****, getting preapprovals, put offer in on the house we like, both are accepted, close March 7th with up to 7 days rent back so my mortgage company has time to get **** in place. Also don’t want to be homeless with 2 kids so I’ll have access to both houses for hopefully a couple days to shuttle stuff to the new house. I spent this past weekend replacing about 30sq ft of my roof to fix the leak, drywalling bathrooms and ceilings, replacing tiles and regrouting the kitchen, and replaced the capacitor in the heat pump so that’s fixed. Heads up to DIYers, they won’t sell you a capacitor or heat pump parts if your not a contractor, but I asked him the part number and ordered it for 1/3 the cost off Amazon prime with next day shipping while standing at the counter.

New house has a 2 car attached 21x20 garage, and is 5 years old so no broken ****. Very excited to have more space to work and a garage that will hold heat. I went to move the Camaro out of the garage so I can get stuff out of the rafters and the dry rotted tres have all gone flat. Going to fill them with fix a flat and hope it starts and drive it the 4 miles to the new house where she’ll get parked and HOPEFULLY finally start the 355 swap and be able to DD it again.

New neighborhood has a vicious HOA, I can’t park the boat in the driveway, garbage cans have to be hidden, no lawn equipment out, etc, and there’s no shed yet. The house has the most private lot and is off the road so hopefully my neighbors will **** off for the most part, but I need to install the magnaflow catback to quiet it down. It’s amazing how much crap you accumulate, you dong realize how much useless spare car parts you’ve kept until you have to move.
I moved twice back in 2010, decided I didn't like it so haven't since but want to again because I need acreage and a shop. The first 90% of crap packs right up, it's that last 10% that makes your life exceptionally miserable. Kinda like HOAs, just wait until you leave your car parked on the street overnight and get a damn sticker on the window that's impossible to peel off. That whole conecpt is absolutely retarded as they're staffed by dumb ***** who got picked on in school and are out for revenge with the slightest inkling of perceived authority. There's a special place in hell for those socially dysfunctional retards.

Quick Reply: The garage ornament is now a DD