Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:29 AM
8 Second Club

Received 731 Likes on 536 Posts

Might try draining out all the fluid and going with HYgard or equivalent fluid. typically tightens up the converter 200-300rpm or so... Great fluid for the price as well. Handles heat better than non synthetic ATF's.

I pick up the 5 gallon buckets at the local tractor supply stores. Or amazon carries it in gallon jugs. I'd run the standard viscosity to tighten it up the most.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Might try draining out all the fluid and going with HYgard or equivalent fluid. typically tightens up the converter 200-300rpm or so... Great fluid for the price as well. Handles heat better than non synthetic ATF's.

I pick up the 5 gallon buckets at the local tractor supply stores. Or amazon carries it in gallon jugs. I'd run the standard viscosity to tighten it up the most.
Do you have a manual valve body frank? If so, I have some of this fluid that I never opened you can try.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Do you have a manual valve body frank? If so, I have some of this fluid that I never opened you can try.
There is a manual valve body in it right now..... But I don't think different fluid is going to solve my problem.....
Old 01-10-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not make it out to tnt last Wed nite, but I did go down to Bradenton on Sat for the season opener for brackets..... First thing that happened when I got down there I found out the Thortons on 64 no longer ha E85, instead they now have non ethanol(big switch)..... So I topped it off with 7 gal of 93 oct, good thing I have a Flex Fuel Veichle(ethanol sensor equipped)..... Checked the fuel when I got to the track and I was on E45, at least it was close to E50..... Surprisingly it still went 6.51 and two 6.52's, not too bad on 12lbs of boost..... I figured out the converter slippage and it's a redicalous 30%, I have to get a converter ordered.....

Then the big scare on the way home, just as I was getting on the Skyway Bridge I noticed my oil pressure drop to zero and bounce back up..... I was screwed at this point so I kept going while watching the pressure bounce between 40 and 0, I made it over the bridge with no abnormal motor noises and it wasn't heating up at all either..... So I stopped at the scenic outlook by the north tool booths and hooked the laptop up(the gauge has it's own sensor, but the ecu reads the factory sensor)..... Oil pressure looked good idling so I hit the road again and it maintained 57-59 lbs on the lap top(the gauge was all over the place)..... I'll have to get a new sensor.....

I also weighed the car on Sunday, this is one heavy bitch for what it is..... It weighs 3405 with me in it, balance is really good though(49% front and 51% rear)..... Problem is it's heavy on the right rear by 80lbs, I am going to have to do something about that.....
Old 01-11-2018, 08:27 AM
8 Second Club

Oh man that’s heavier than I would have thought… great times for 3400lbs and 12psi. Might temporarily toss a sand bag in the driver side rear and see if she responds well. Adding weight didn’t affect my 1/8th mile speed much at all. I put 120lbs in the rear of and lost maybe a half MPH… but the ET was much improved. If all is well you can order 35lb lead bricks they use for the kart racing on EBay. Then bolt them where needed

FWIW I actually prefer E60 or so. Seems to keep injectors clean (no e85 goo build up) and provides plenty of knock resistance. Running 14lbs or so with no intercooler on my 5.3.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh man that’s heavier than I would have thought… great times for 3400lbs and 12psi. Might temporarily toss a sand bag in the driver side rear and see if she responds well. Adding weight didn’t affect my 1/8th mile speed much at all. I put 120lbs in the rear of and lost maybe a half MPH… but the ET was much improved. If all is well you can order 35lb lead bricks they use for the kart racing on EBay. Then bolt them where needed

FWIW I actually prefer E60 or so. Seems to keep injectors clean (no e85 goo build up) and provides plenty of knock resistance. Running 14lbs or so with no intercooler on my 5.3.
Me too!!!!! I am going to move some weight around in the rear..... I am also going to change the front seats, I don't like the feel with them plus I need a better head rest.....

I think it actually liked having less ethanol in it, plus I am injecting water/meth.....
Old 01-12-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

My Cougar is 3140 without me. I am surprised yours was so heavy. I would guess 3000 pounds (and I am pretty sure yours not 400 pounds...LOL)

Andrew
Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car is 3130 and I am 275.....
Old 01-28-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured it was time for a little update, I didn't do much to it for a couple weeks but I was wanting to change the seat so that project has started..... I was sitting higher then I wanted in the car and technically have no usable head rest on the seat that were in it, and I really liked the 41 series Kirkey Pro Drag Seat that were in my 85 Coupe..... Since my car weighs in like a tank i should be able to kill some weight too..... So I am in the process of putting a set of the new Kirkey 55 series Pro Drag Seats in the Comet, bad part is it opened a whole can of worms I wasn't thinking about..... No I have to move the lap belt mounts because of the new seat positioning, big pita because I had to take the rear carpet all up(which was glued down)..... I am also going the rear seat delete direction so I removed all the rear seat retaining brackets and rear seat belt mounts....... Everything in the rear is already firewalled off so I will be able to just carpet the rear area..... I removed the old lap belt mounts..... The seat are currently at work to get some brackets welded on, then I will have to add new lap belt mounts at the correct angle and position.....

Here's what it looks like after today.....

Oh yeah, I also received this little trinket at the end of last week, hopefully this helps solve the slippage problem.....

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been lazy lately but I did make some progress over the weekend..... Pretty much all the seat mounting and seat belt attaching point debacle is done..... Got about 75% of the carpet in.....

Progress pic's if you call them that.....

Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did finally get the seat fiasco finished..... I tried to take it to the track on feb 24th for a race but the fuel pump overheated..... It didn't seem to be running right when I was approaching the track, then when I got in and was driving through the pits it shut off..... Pump heated up and lost pressure, the pump body was hot..... After it cooled for a while the car would start..... I let it cool for a couple hours, hooked up the lap top so I could monitor pressure and drove it home..... I only hat to stop once after I got off the highway..... I pissed me off and I just let it sit for a couple weeks.....

Here's what the interior looks like.....

Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did get some stuff apart last weekend, and ordered some parts..... Hopefully this time around will cure some problems..... I am currently sitting in Tennessee and will be getting back to it next weekend..... I am also thing of just changing it back to gas(it not the easiest thing getting the E85 around me, there's basically only one station even close)..... And I can just up the water/meth injection a little more.....

Here's some pic's of how the car sits at the moment.....

Old 03-19-2018, 10:36 AM
8 Second Club

Was that the fuel lab pump? What kind of pre filter did you run again? Buddy had one of their 105gph pumps go out (so have many others I hear) they wouldn’t warranty the pump because we didn’t use their 75 micron suggested pre-filter.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was that the fuel lab pump? What kind of pre filter did you run again? Buddy had one of their 105gph pumps go out (so have many others I hear) they wouldn’t warranty the pump because we didn’t use their 75 micron suggested pre-filter.
Yes it was, it's there 1500hp high pressure EFI pump..... I was using a -12an feed with a Holley 100 micron inlet filter..... I have not talked to them yet.....
Old 03-26-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made some progress this weekend...... Sat I got everything removed from the trunk that would be in my way..... Then I cut out the material that the Mustang gas tank mounted to, so I can build a new structure to hold the new fuel cell and rearrangement of other things in the trunk.....

Progress pic's.....

Then Sunday I cleaned up all the cut off tubes where they were attached to the frame, and trimmed the opening a little..... After that I started building the new structure.....

Sunday progress.....

Old 03-31-2018, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made a little more progress on the trunk floor/cell mount.....

Old 04-01-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and a little more today..... Am I slow or what?????

Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Objectively?? Hell, I don't know. I do know that you're sure as hell not any slower than I am...

Keep plugging away at it, this is still one of my favorite builds on this site!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Objectively?? Hell, I don't know. I do know that you're sure as hell not any slower than I am...

Keep plugging away at it, this is still one of my favorite builds on this site!
I will, it will get done eventually..... Mabye I'll find some more ambition somewhere!!!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I definitely know the feeling... For me, it's helped to set a goal, a date/event by which time I want to have it running. That's helped to "light a fire under my rear" much more so than the amorphous, undefined "I want to get this thing running one day" idea - but you probably don't need me to suggest that to you...

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....