Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm late to the party--just read through this whole thread in one sitting. Awesome fab work and attention to detail on this car. I'll be following the rest of this thread as you dial this in. Very cool.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
I definitely know the feeling... For me, it's helped to set a goal, a date/event by which time I want to have it running. That's helped to "light a fire under my rear" much more so than the amorphous, undefined "I want to get this thing running one day" idea - but you probably don't need me to suggest that to you...
I know what your saying, but there's not really an event in the near future that means enough to work any harder then I am.....

Originally Posted by BudRacing
I'm late to the party--just read through this whole thread in one sitting. Awesome fab work and attention to detail on this car. I'll be following the rest of this thread as you dial this in. Very cool.
Thanks, compliments much appreciated.....
Old 04-07-2018, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today's progress.....

Old 04-08-2018, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not much, but god a little more done today..... Lower fuel cell straps made and welded in.....

Old 04-22-2018, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I did nothing to it last weekend..... I didn't really feel like working on this weekend either, but I did piddle around the under hood area..... I removed the fuel lines from the shock tower bulkheads, took out the bulkhead fitting and enlarged the return line hole for -8an..... Then I went ahead and got the valve cover bolted back on, reinstalled the coils, fuel injectors and rail..... I made a new hose from the back of the driver side rail to the regulator(use to go to the ethanol sensor)..... I also changed the spark plugs..... And I removed the charge pipe so I can add another water/meth nozzle to it in front of the throttle body..... All things that needed to be done before it's gets fired up again, also things I didn't have to roll around on the ground to do.....

Last edited by franktf; 04-22-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it just me, or are there 3 hoses going to the radiator?
Interesting layout. Very clean.

Jay
Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Is it just me, or are there 3 hoses going to the radiator?
Interesting layout. Very clean.

Jay
Yes, one from each side of the motor and the return from the heater core..... Thanks.....
Old 04-30-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a little more done this past weekend..... Finished changing the fuel lines around under the hood, plus I got them routed and attached under the car back to just in front of the rear end.....

I did fit the main part of the fuel cell shield, and made the patterns for the caps on both sides..... I'll get those made this week.....

I also got the reinforcement welded in, cleaned up, drilled, tapped and the tube repainted..... Now it's ready for another water/meth nozzle.....

Here's what the fuel lines under the hood look like now.....

Old 04-30-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What size hose is that (fuel feed and return) and where did you get the hose spacers? They look great!

Jay
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayinMI
What size hose is that (fuel feed and return) and where did you get the hose spacers? They look great!

Jay
It is -8 feed and return..... The retainers are Billet Specialties Hose separators that I drilled through for attaching, and used riv-nuts in the panels to attach them.....
Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Someday I may get this done..... A little more progress this past weekend..... The box to protect the fuel cell is done, got the other section of trunk floor welded in, water/meth mounting done and nuts for fuel bulkheads welded in.....

Old 05-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by franktf
I know what your saying, but there's not really an event in the near future that means enough to work any harder then I am.....
Re-reading this again, I started to wonder - do you think that maybe your new Mustang (even though it's not as quick as the Comet) is "good enough", so that you don't have the same drive to finish the Comet?? Just a thought...

BTW, I sent you a PM Frank - if you haven't already seen it, I'd appreciate your thoughts/feedback.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheese Weasel
Re-reading this again, I started to wonder - do you think that maybe your new Mustang (even though it's not as quick as the Comet) is "good enough", so that you don't have the same drive to finish the Comet?? Just a thought...

BTW, I sent you a PM Frank - if you haven't already seen it, I'd appreciate your thoughts/feedback.
Definitely not.....To tell you the truth I am not that thrilled with the Mustang, it runs ok but I could really take it or leave it..... It's just a driver at this point.....

My problem to some extent is I build and work on custom car for a living an just get burned out from time to time, leaving me little to no ambition to work on my own junk.....

I'll check my pm's.....
Old 05-14-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got some more done over the weekend..... Finished the trunk floor top and bottom..... Black, trunk paint and clear on top, black and Lizard Skin on bottom.....

Old 05-19-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some progress made today..... I chased all the threads in the floor after painting last week..... I got the -8 bulkheads in and finish the fuel hoses under the car and got them hooked up to the bulkheads, I also made a line for the vent filter to mount on..... Then I put the rear valence back on..... last thing I did is mount the fuel vent can and made/installed the line from the vent can to the floor bulkhead fitting..... Tomorrow I need to work on rerouting some of the wiring in the trunk due to new locations of components before installing anything else.....Progress pic's.....

Old 05-20-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got some of the wiring rearranged today..... Remounted the water/meth pump and put the fuel cell in place...... No pic's for today, forgot the phone.....
Old 05-26-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The trunk area is almost back together now, made some good progress today..... Just need to mount the fuel pump control and do a small amount of wiring tomorrow..... Here's the Holley fuel pump module ready to go in the cell.....

Here's the fuel pump control I need to mount in the am.....

and here's what the trunk is looking like.....

Old 05-27-2018, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are those the dual 450 pumps?
Old 05-27-2018, 06:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmracing
Are those the dual 450 pumps?
Yes they are.....
Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Only got about 3/4 of the wiring done on Sunday..... Guess there's always next weekend, and the one after that, and the one after that.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....