Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmm, guess i never noticed that.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes some factory heads look just like the pics above. U can take some sand paper on a block of wood and clean them up if u choose. Ive ran them before as is without issues.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Although it looks bad I'm betting it's smooth as baby's ---
Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.lug
notice how you see the exact same reflection in both of these places even though one is a hole and the other is supposedly a smooth surface? That's because there's a hard edge in both of these spots. This is a tell-tale sign that there's a mis-match in one of the inserts.

this is what a typical cutter looks like on an engine mill. It's a large diameter tool - upwards of 12" - and it has a ton of inserts. All of these inserts need to be set within a "tenth" or so to make sure the finish comes out smooth. And when i say tenth, that means ten-thousandth of an inch - four places over. One of the inserts on that cutter was clearly kicked out of place and was leaving that heavy swipe. That may only be a few tenths deep, but that's more than enough to leak everything, especially compression. A surface that's wavy by a few tenths will seal, but sharp corners like that most certainly will not.

appriciate the feed back.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01camarosstx
although it looks bad i'm betting it's smooth as baby's ---
i can feel the grooves with my nail
Old 03-24-2018, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98cayennet/a
how much were those milled?

I would have them cleaned up somewhere else as opposed to running a thicker gasket. Don't go to a thicker gasket.

What cam are you running?

Here is a picture of what's on my car milled .030"

here is a (imo) much better and easier way to check ptv than dealing with clay on the piston.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ve-method.html
228/230 comp cam and it was just suppose to be a resurface job, a valve job, he put my seals an springs on
Old 03-24-2018, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBluLs1
Sorry to hear that man!
Old 03-24-2018, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a tool and die maker and have built a lot of engines. Wow that head looks like ****. How can they charge money for that? There are witness marks everywhere. That's good for you though he could not have done any deep cutting no more than .001 if at all as mentioned from the look of it. So they probably are still pretty flat. On most mls gaskets there is a surface quality numbers listed on the package or a sticker or at least you can get it from there web site. If the shop you bring them to does not know this walk away. You should be fine. Good luck next time. . Oh and tell them to debur the sharp combustion chamber edges with some 1000 grit sand paper. A sharp edge can get hot enough to cause pre ignition.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not good... Gotta get them redecked. I honestly would be questioning everything else they did to the heads.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kcs
those heads are fine. Your machine shop did not even mill them. If they did, you wouldn't be able to see the imprint from the head gasket.
okay thats good to kno.. So i wouldnt have a major change in things an wouldnt need the whole ptv clearance check?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

okay thats good to kno.. So i wouldnt have a major change in things an wouldnt need the whole ptv clearance check?
Since you said you can feel the grooves, do not install those as they are. You can shave off .001" - .005" (however deep the damage is) and still have plenty of ptv clearance, unless you're running a larger cam. If you did install a different cam then you'd have to check that anyway.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:02 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said that was cut with a rotary broach, like a Van Norman. On aluminium they are not idea and will not produce a proper cut if they inserts are not sharpened. It is possible to make good cuts with them but it takes a ton of time to set them up correctly. I have also never see a feed rate that produced lines that far apart.

If you have a choice a CBN cutter like a DCM will produce a better cut will far less setup time. I would question any shop that makes cuts on heads that don't have any purpose.

Rotary broach

CBN

Blockmaster

Boring bar

Sunnen CV-20 Honing machine

BHJ torque plate.

I wouldn't use a machine shop if they didn't have a Blockmaster and a good hone machine used with a torque plate.

Last edited by fex77k; 03-28-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Good catch. But what did they run over the surface to make those marks i wonder???
h
​He stated that these are factory an come likethis..He also stated that he did a surface check an not a resurface job..
Old 03-29-2018, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by handyandy496
I'm a tool and die maker and have built a lot of engines. Wow that head looks like ****. How can they charge money for that? There are witness marks everywhere. That's good for you though he could not have done any deep cutting no more than .001 if at all as mentioned from the look of it. So they probably are still pretty flat. On most mls gaskets there is a surface quality numbers listed on the package or a sticker or at least you can get it from there web site. If the shop you bring them to does not know this walk away. You should be fine. Good luck next time. . Oh and tell them to debur the sharp combustion chamber edges with some 1000 grit sand paper. A sharp edge can get hot enough to cause pre ignition.
Thank you.. Appriciate the info..
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

h
​He stated that these are factory an come likethis..He also stated that he did a surface check an not a resurface job..
If they were mine I'd pay the 150 bucks to have an actual surface job done. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable about putting those on, provided that later if you run into problems, that will remain the question mark in the back of your mind, even if they are fine. It's just not something worth the risk. So in addition to deburring the edges of the chambers I'd have them decked down a few thousandths. It won't hurt anything, or effect ptv or anything else really other than a very minor compression bump, but again not enough to even notice. Personally I always get aluminum heads resurfaced since they are prone to warping with heat. Even if it's only .001" I have taken off, it gives me peace of mind knowing that they are not going to cause problems.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

h
Ive seen a lot of stock heads and never with marks like that.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 242 Posts

Here are some stock 806 heads in my garage.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My stock 241, 243, and 706 heads all had these machining marks.