Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help identify valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018 | 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default Help identify valve Springs

So I bought a set of double Springs on this site and this guy told me they were tsp .660 lift Springs. Now the issue is Idk if they are or not I called tsp and they said they should be shiny but these arnt unless they were and got dirty Idk. But nothing looks like they would be .660 tsp Springs... So can anyone help identify them I don't want to waste money on buying new ones if I don't have to.

Old 04-04-2018 | 09:35 PM
Launching!
15 Year Member

Springs don't have identifying marks as far as I know. They are double springs so I would assume the seller is being honest since double springs tend to be used on higher lift cams.
Old 04-05-2018 | 05:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Starion
Springs don't have identifying marks as far as I know. They are double springs so I would assume the seller is being honest since double springs tend to be used on higher lift cams.
well he said tsp and I just assumed and still think they are legit I just don't want to put them in there and find out there like a .615 and have my engine explode because my cam is .621 lol
Old 04-05-2018 | 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Measure their height. Compress them in a drill press or a vise, padded with wood or brass (do NOT scratch them AT ALL!!!!) to the installed height you need to use (probably 1.800"), then further by the lift of your cam; then .050" further. If there's still clearance between the coils, they'll at least support the lift. If you can do this with a scale that reads up to 400 lbs or so in addition to the padding material, you can also measure their tension at various lifts and their rate.

At some point they just are what they are, no matter what brand or who sold them or what the PO told you.