Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM VIN Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCM VIN Change

I am doing a engine swap, Ls1 into a porsche 944. This is a california swap so the PCM VIN is very important to how I can deal with emmissions.

I already have had the PCM sent out and tuned for my requirement. However, the unit came back with a VIN from a 2000 Camaro. As I am in California, I would prefer this to have a VIN from a 2002 F-Body. This is so I can get rid of the EGR stuff mostly.

The question is this; can any tuner that I send this to reprogram the VIN?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

A tuner with EFI Live can change the VIN or someone with HP Tuners can tune the whole tune to a 2002.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone should be able to change it. Those with multiple types of software can put in any vin you want basically.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Great. So if i pick up a second hand HP Tuners with credits for at least one car, I can do this myself?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club

I only use HPT and EFI but I have run into problems when I changed the VIN with EFI and it didnt match the OS and I would get a VIN/OS mis match or something like that with HPT. I dont think you can change the VIN to a 2002 with a 2002 OS with HPT but I could be wrong.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Where you at in CA?? If your near fresno i can change it i have Tunercats and dont have to license the pcm to help you out.

Last edited by roughneck427; 06-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluemach1
Great. So if i pick up a second hand HP Tuners with credits for at least one car, I can do this myself?
Hptuners uses vin numbers for licensing. Because of that it's quit restrictive in allowing vin changes. EFI live doesn't use VIN's just the serial number of the PCM itself. Because of this you can change it to what ever you like. So if looking for tuning software I'd give hptuners a miss and go for EFI.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Roughneck427 -
I am in the Sacramento area.
Old 08-01-2024, 12:27 AM

Default get a 411 to pass smog in CA

Originally Posted by roughneck427
Where you at in CA?? If your near fresno i can change it i have Tunercats and dont have to license the pcm to help you out.
I'm actually in Fresno and looking to buy a 97 Tahoe off a guy but he has a 411 tuned pcm on it and it won't pass CA smog. Is this an easy fix to get it to pass or do you need to re-pin and put the old pcm back in? It still has the original 5.7/trans in it.
Old 08-01-2024, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

Old thread discussion here, don't expect an answer from those guys. Is the VIN problem the only problem with your California smog test? There are other tuning software choices such as "PCM Hammer" these days that are compatible with a 0411 PCM that can change a VIN. Is it not passing because the tune "checksum" values are not the correct expected values?

Rick
Old 08-01-2024, 08:54 AM

Default Pcm 411 ca smog

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Old thread discussion here, don't expect an answer from those guys. Is the VIN problem the only problem with your California smog test? There are other tuning software choices such as "PCM Hammer" these days that are compatible with a 0411 PCM that can change a VIN. Is it not passing because the tune "checksum" values are not the correct expected values?

Yea I saw the date and thought it was a long shot but figured I'd give a it a try. Thank you for your response.
Yes as far as I know it is only because the OBD2 notices the mismatch. The truck is immaculate other than this mod. Originally I thought you would need to re-pin and throw the old computer back in but after reading up on forums the last couple days it looked like you could just match the vin in the bi-directional section and it could resolve it. And or change some other values to get it to pass. What I was trying to to find out is if there is way to make the 411 computer pass smog permanently and also have no issues with reliability of the engine.
I am very unfamiliar with PCM tunes other than what I've been learning the past few days reading online so I apologize for my ignorance on the matter.

Rick
Yea I saw the date and thought it was a long shot but figured I'd give a it a try. Thank you for your response.Yes as far as I know it is only because the OBD2 notices the mismatch. The truck is immaculate other than this mod. Originally I thought you would need to re-pin and throw the old computer back in but after reading up on forums the last couple days it looked like you could just match the vin in the bi-directional section and it could resolve it. And or change some other values to get it to pass. What I was trying to to find out is if there is way to make the 411 computer pass smog permanently and also have no issues with reliability of the engine.I am very unfamiliar with PCM tunes other than what I've been learning the past few days reading online so I apologize for my ignorance on the matter.
Old 08-01-2024, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

I can change the VIN and it doesnt effect anything in the tune.
Old Today, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by minytrker
I can change the VIN and it doesn't effect anything in the tune.
Swapping an LS! from '01 Corvette into Gbody ('81 Malibu) in California. I have a few junkyard P01's. I am concerned about the VIN - i have heard that the VIN in the OS not matching the VIN of the Swap would be cause for failure by the referee. I wanted to know if its possible to have my Gbody's vin installed on a PCM with a Corvette OS 12212156.

I have drive by cable TB and heard that California requires a "stock tune", I wonder if the segment change from DBW to DBC would be cause for failure of change of engine requirements. Would it be better to use the F-Body version of 12212156? I have been wanting to keep the Corvette version due to the pcm accepting the oil pressure data from sender as the swap engine has 2 total oil sensor/ senders 1 on the back of the manifold and ! above the oil filter. Is there a way to have the pcm monitor the oil pressure with the F-Body Version?

Currently the PCMs I have are from gen 3 v8 trucks 5.3/4.8, I have HPT dongle and have not paid for any licensing yet, also using VXDiag and Universal Patcher / PC Hammer. This is my first swap or dealing with ECM/ PCMs - any and all assistance is greatly appreciated,

Quick Reply: PCM VIN Change