Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New TSP roller tip OEM rocker

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 03:32 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
So this would mean they are adjustable but do not also need taller valve covers?

If this is the case I might end up picking some of them up after I get a little more in way of results on how my shimmed stockers run at the track.

The cost of the shaft mounts, plus the need for aftermarket tall valve covers, plus then possibly coil relocation or longer plug wires as well makes the price quite high.

If these would offer the adjustability and possibly some minor power gains on a LLSR that is .630"/.620" lift and only needs to rev around 7,000 rpms then they might be right up my ally.
Now that I couldn't tell you. It does have the polylock which sits up above the rocker body. That may not fit under the stock valvecovers.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Now that I couldn't tell you. It does have the polylock which sits up above the rocker body. That may not fit under the stock valvecovers.

At least they should work with the Holley "tall" valve covers(about a half inch taller) I think. Those are affordable and even clean up the coil mounting nicely by eliminating the brackets.

I must admit, the clearance issues with shaft rockers should not be underestimated. Have spent hours grinding and re-grinding the heads and now have some $500 valve covers that *almost* fit that I am about to turn into $100 covers by grinding on those. These T&D shaft rocker arms are definitely confidence-inspiring to say the least, but double the price of the shaft rocker purchase price to get real cost if you are considering them.

I like the guys at T&D and their product is top quality but I feel they failed me a bit in that they couldn't point me to a valve cover that would definitely fit without grinding.

i was originally headed for the Comps and then got cold feet and decided I wanted something made in USA. Heard the Comps are not but I can't remember where. Can anyone in possession verify?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS

The Ultra Pro-Mags?

Yes.....they fit under stock valve covers.

KW
Old 01-09-2017, 10:20 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
The Ultra Pro-Mags?

KW
You're saying the stud mount conversion fits? Not the bolt on rockers, but the ones that come with the studs, guideplates, and polylocks.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My problem with covers that have no coil rails is that I use the square truck coils, not LS1/LS2 or heat sink/round truck coils so it's my understanding most coil relocation brackets or valve covers with built in bosses will not work with them.

IIRC the cheapest tall covers are Proforms which are $250-300 depending on the finish.

I do not like the idea of the cover spacers, but maybe if I scored some of those cheap I could have them tig welded to a spare set of factory covers and then true up the mating surface and see if they seal well.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
The Ultra Pro-Mags?

KW
If these fit under stock covers I will be swapping to these this spring. Even on a hydraulic cam I see it being a solid upgrade as you can dial in the preload on each lifter instead using different pushrods or shims to get it close with stock style rockers.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:46 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah, those aren't bad for that. That's a cheap alternative for the LLSR crowd as well. With the drop-in Morels... the price difference is almost nothing vs YT and decent HR lifters. And if they are 1.8:1, you can just have Kip grind the lobe with that in mind to keep lifts in the .640-.670 range.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

What is the difference between the kits with and without guideplates? I assume the guideplate is for the pushrod? (this might be the dumbest question I have ever asked on here but I have never messed with anything but stock rockers on any engine)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:55 AM
KCS

What is the difference between the kits with and without guideplates? I assume the guideplate is for the pushrod? (this might be the dumbest question I have ever asked on here but I have never messed with anything but stock rockers on any engine)
Nothing other than the obvious, as far as I can tell. The guideplates and studs that come in the kit are for the stock 8mm bolt holes in the heads and 5/16" pushrods. If you get the kit without the studs and guideplates, you can get different ones which would allow you to run 3/8" pushrods or a 3/8" stud into the head.

Like I said earlier though, the "Bolt Down" rockers have a smaller hole drilled in the trunnion for the 8mm bolts so you won't be able to use them with the studs.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

What makes guideplates necessary? Or are they just an optional item?
Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

If you go with the upgraded screw in studs, you should probably run the guideplates. So the bolt-on = no guideplate. Upgraded stud = yes. And that's just to make sure the pushrod stays aligned to the cup. With a non-factory attachment, things may change a bit.

At least in an SBC that's how it works. Don't really see much in the LS word using them.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:25 PM
KCS

What makes guideplates necessary? Or are they just an optional item?
Like Jake said, they're for alignment. Without the stands to sit on, the rocker arms can rotate freely. The guide plates keep the pushrods aligned, which in turn, keep the rockers aligned.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Ok I understand. Just didn't think about the lack of stands. I've never seen any of these things in person so I was trying to get a handle on how it all worked together.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Like Jake said, they're for alignment. Without the stands to sit on, the rocker arms can rotate freely. The guide plates keep the pushrods aligned, which in turn, keep the rockers aligned.
Harland Sharp, YT rockers have a small shaft connecting the pairs of rockers that keeps them relatively straight. I believe this is why you see guide plates for the rockers without shafts. Depending on the cam and pushrods though, guide plates might still be a good idea. Occurs to me they couldn't really hurt anything unless wrong size or installed wrong.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that's kinda a bummer. But I suppose the stock setup just uses the pushrods to keep it lined up so just switching them out on a stock cam should be no problem. Just for the record the heads have to come off ( to tap them) for the bigger studs. I'm assuming the are pressed in?
Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Man that's kinda a bummer. But I suppose the stock setup just uses the pushrods to keep it lined up so just switching them out on a stock cam should be no problem. Just for the record the heads have to come off ( to tap them) for the bigger studs. I'm assuming the are pressed in?
Stock setup uses the rocker rails to keep them lined up, just like is mentioned
earlier, and they are just bolted down. The kit I have comes with studs that just screw in, you can get bigger studs for better stability if you want, and then yes
you would have to tap bigger holes in them. There is nothing pressed in on
Gen 3 and above heads.
And just for the fun of it, the alignment is necessary to keep the rocker arm on the valve, not necessarily
to keep push rod in.

Last edited by slogo; 01-10-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by slogo

Stock valve covers fit?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
You're saying the stud mount conversion fits? Not the bolt on rockers, but the ones that come with the studs, guideplates, and polylocks.
I'm talking about the Ultra Pro-magnums, part number 1676-16.

KW
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Stock valve covers fit?
No, the polylocks are too tall, they hit the boss where one of the coil brackets
bolt on, oil fill valve cover, the other valve cover hits the metal baffle for the pcv
they might fit if you grind off that boss, and remove the baffle and grind.

Quick Reply: New TSP roller tip OEM rocker