Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap in 02 3.8 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap in 02 3.8 firebird

Ive searched and searched and cant seem to find the answer Im looking for... Im looking to put a 5.3 into my 02 v6 firebird. From what Ive found in my research is Ill need a complete engine assembly(including wiring), v8 tranny, ls1/6 intake, ls1/255 fuel pump, ls1 kmem/motor mounts, ls1 heads/manifold, ls1 steering rack, ls1 oil pan. My goal for right now is to just get this motor in and running before i run any mods. Before any "just get a v8" or "your wasting your time and money" comments come around Id like to say Im a 19 year old with minimal expierience (replaced tensioner, starter, "brake overhaul", belts, tune up, fluid changes, tstat, broken rear wheel studs, more simple things I dont remember all on this v6) is all the experience I have on working cars, but I LOVE getting inside the car, fixing it, getting down and dirty! I want to actually become an auto technician. I have access to an engine hoist, place to where the actual swap will take place, older more experienced friends willing to help, and a subtle bit of knowledge myself from what Ive read and videos Ive watched. I know this may seem a little extreme to try and get hands on experience with, but if its my money and car and no ones getting hurt could someone please bless me with knowledge instead of ignorance please! Seems like every forum I try people get irritated and shoot me down for being a noob but after reading Y87Bird00s swap a couple times, thoroughly,it really inspired me knowing someone my age, actually younger than me has done this w a couple of his friends! Also I wanted to see if what I can replace before putting in the actual engine to get the car "V8 ready" example like the fuel pump or is there any suspension mods needed or better for the swap? again thank you so much and sorry for the noob questions!

Last edited by FirebirdManny; 04-23-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You sound enthusiastic about taking on the swap, so you possess the number 1 required ingredient for making it a positive experience...you'll find plenty of words of encouragement from us older guys who've been at this for more years than we care to admit. I'll provide you with your first helpful bit of information, which is you don't need to acquire/install an LS1 K-member. Hooker offers engine stands that mount the engine right to the V6 K-member you already have and at the factory position. You will need an LS1 steering rack if you intend on using headers.

Last edited by Toddoky; 06-01-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You sound enthusiastic about taking on the swap, so you possess the number 1 required ingredient for making it a positive experience...you'll fine plenty of words of encouragement from us older guys who've been at this for more years than we care to admit. I'll provide you with your first helpful bit of information, which is you don't need to acquire/install an LS1 K-member. Hooker offers engine stands that mount the engine right to the V6 K-member you already have and at the factory position. You will need an LS1 steering rack if you intend on using headers.
so if I buy the engine mounts I wont need to buy the ls1 kmem? another question is there any suspension upgrades I should install before the swap? like front springs or crossmem?
Will my v6 be able to withstand the weight of the v8? is there any rear end changes? Bc i would also like to have good handling since its my DD and i put alot of hwy miles bc of work. Any suggestions on that? again sorry for the questions...
Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 06-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

your car shows the same front springs used if you had the 5.7 or the 3.8, so I would say your stock suspension should be fine assuming it is in good condition. while you have everything out, it might not hurt to refresh. check the weight of our 5.3 vs the 5.7 factory option just in case.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the v6 suspension I believe would be fine. the v6 springs IIRC is better for drag racing due to the stiffer damper (something along those lines). my old firebird build, the previous owner left the v6 suspension on there. you'd also want the one piece driveshaft IIRC the v6 is a 2 piece driveshaft. v8 wiring harness, pcm, and ls1 dash IIRC.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebirdManny
so if I buy the engine mounts I wont need to buy the ls1 kmem? another question is there any suspension upgrades I should install before the swap? like front springs or crossmem?
Will my v6 be able to withstand the weight of the v8? is there any rear end changes? Bc i would also like to have good handling since its my DD and i put alot of hwy miles bc of work. Any suggestions on that? again sorry for the questions...
Yes, that is correct, using the Hooker swap brackets allows you to leave the V6 K-member in place. If you want to run headers designed for a V8 4th-gen F-body, you'll have to swap in an LS1 steering rack. You can use the stock V6 steering rack if you are going to use exhaust manifolds.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:05 AM

I am doing the same build right toddoky I am asking same question what part number from.hooker did u use for the motor mounts for ur 5.3 everything ur doing im in the process myself and
Old 04-26-2023, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammie32306
I am doing the same build right toddoky I am asking same question what part number from.hooker did u use for the motor mounts for ur 5.3 everything ur doing im in the process myself and
......and what??
Old 04-26-2023, 10:44 AM

What do u mean and what? I have a 02 firebird with 3.8 4l60e f body I bought a 5.3 ls motor need to know what motor mounts I need to make that fit using original cross member or k mem
Old 04-26-2023, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

What do u mean and what? I have a 02 firebird with 3.8 4l60e f body I bought a 5.3 ls motor need to know what motor mounts I need to make that fit using original cross member or k mem
Look at the last word of the last sentence I quoted....
Old 04-26-2023, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am doing the same build, right Toddoky? I am asking the same question. What part number from Hooker did you use for the motor mounts for your 5.3? Everything you're doing, I'm in the process myself, and.....
Even after converting into English from texting shorthand, it still leaves us hanging....
Old 05-03-2023, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Old post, maybe in the last 6 years he figured out where the stickie's are...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-guides.html

Because right under my Fbody LT->LS thread is this one...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ap-w-pics.html

Then again, maybe not.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap in 02 3.8 firebird