Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATF leaking from yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ATF leaking from yoke?

My car is in resurrection mode and for some reason there's ATF running thru the yoke and dripping off the u-joint. The car has had the trans back in it for a couple months sitting on jack stands and no leaks. About a week ago I lowered the rear down and left the front-end up, about 6" higher than the rear. Whats happening here? I've never seen ATF run thru the driveshaft yoke.
If there's a hole in the yoke then why doesn't it run out/leak out when the car is level and driving?

4L60E

Last edited by 95wannabe; 07-28-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:29 AM
TECH Regular

edit....
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Some yokes years ago had a small hole in the back near the u joint, the output shaft in the trans had an o ring which the yoke slid over-the pin hole in the yoke was to let air out, so depending on what yoke you have, what it came off of, could have this hole-or you just have a pin hole in the weld where the plug is. Trans fluid will creep, so it could also be coming from somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 AM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure this driveshaft is a stock aluminum unit from a 4th gen. It came with a roller I bought that was an LT1 car...4L60E & Moser 9". I'm putting this driveshaft back in a different '95 body with LQ4-4L60E and using the 9". There is a wear mark on the yoke where it sat in the last trans it was in, only about halfway. In other words, it looks like only half of the length of the yoke is slid inside the trans. 2.5" exposed seems a little much to me but maybe not.
Again, this cars been sitting on stands level for a month and I just lowered the rear last week and now its leaking. Wasn't sure if its something to worry about or if it will stop when the car is level again.

Quick Reply: ATF leaking from yoke?