PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kpeters59
It seemed to work just fine on my rooted Nexus 5 running Oreo with a ScanTool MX Bluetooth on my 0411 in my OBS Tahoe with an altered (vehicle matching) VIN.

Thanks for doing this!

Do the results have any value to me?

I've had a partially unresolved issue with the Knock Retard PID and whether I'm monitoring it or not.

-KP
The results likely aren't of any use other then to see what the vin, serial and OS number is. Once I get some feed back on compatibly the app will become a whole lot more useful to people

Get your friends to try it if they have a 99-07 Ls pcm equipped vehicle. The more feedback I get the sooner I can move forward with this.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the app on a spare dongle, iKKEGOL mini Bluetooth in my Pontiac vibe that I drove to work today lol. the app connected to the dongle but when I hit the other button to the right of the BT ON (cant remember the name right now), it tried to read the 100 blocks but errored at 7 lol.

also when connecting to the dongle if you happen to hit the back button on your smartphone while it's connecting to the dongle via Bluetooth, it'll spazz the app and an error message will pop up in the middle of the screen that wont go away unless you somehow turn the phone off. it was there even if I turn the screen off and back on to unlock my phone but I couldn't cause the error message was covering the numbers for me to enter my pin lol.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I'm on Android 8.0, says it can't open that .apk file
Old 03-06-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fst100
I used the app on a spare dongle, iKKEGOL mini Bluetooth in my Pontiac vibe that I drove to work today lol. the app connected to the dongle but when I hit the other button to the right of the BT ON (cant remember the name right now), it tried to read the 100 blocks but errored at 7 lol.

also when connecting to the dongle if you happen to hit the back button on your smartphone while it's connecting to the dongle via Bluetooth, it'll spazz the app and an error message will pop up in the middle of the screen that wont go away unless you somehow turn the phone off. it was there even if I turn the screen off and back on to unlock my phone but I couldn't cause the error message was covering the numbers for me to enter my pin lol.
Good call on the back button, I normal block that from doing any thing but it seems I missed it on this version.

The Bluetooth error message that you couldn't get to clear actually will clear after around 5 minutes(unless it connects to a Bluetooth device), it runs the maximum time allowed by Android. I have an error handling framework setup for dealing with that but it's a bit buggy still and isn't included in this.

I'm not surprised it wouldn't talk to your Pontiac Vibe LOL. It can't hurt any thing but it does tell me that I defiantly need to find a way to ONLY let it talk to LS pcm's. I don't want to use the VIN to Id it by since people may have an altered vin number......I'll have to think on this one for a while.

Overall excellent feed back....it's more helpful then you realize.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckdoug
I'm on Android 8.0, says it can't open that .apk file
What hand set specifically? I don't have Android 8.0 to test this on but I may be able to try on a virtual phone simulator.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,232 Likes on 793 Posts

Can this be used to read only p01 pcm's? I have downloaded the app and will guinea pig for you this week, If I could get the Seed and Key from other PCM I would try that too.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Can this be used to read only p01 pcm's? I have downloaded the app and will guinea pig for you this week, If I could get the Seed and Key from other PCM I would try that too.
As long as your not talking about the 97/98 F body pcm's then yes.....well it may work on the early F body ones but it's not specifically written for that. The app's read only so your not going to hurt any thing as we found out on the Pontiac Vibe lol.

The seed/key is read and calculated about 3 lines in once it starts to run the program. If the app errors out at any point after it's been able to unlock the pcm with the key it will still display the data it was able to read. So even if your not able to get all the Id numbers but it can unlock your pcm it'll give you data back.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PeteS160
What hand set specifically? I don't have Android 8.0 to test this on but I may be able to try on a virtual phone simulator.

pixel 2 xl
Old 03-07-2018, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckdoug
pixel 2 xl
I'll see about finding a way to test it on this phone and why it's not working for you.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

also I used a galaxy s5 when I tested on the vibe. the one in my Camaro that I regularly use is an old android razor (smartphone). i'll have to still test it on there with the bafx dongle hopefully tomorrow.

edit-wishful thinking that it would of read the pcm in the vibe gt since thres very little aftermarket tuning for it. i'd wish to be able to lower the LIFT on it or even add a power adder but theres only aftermarket tuning for the 1zz or 2zz that's only in the lotus or celica.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
I'll see about finding a way to test it on this phone and why it's not working for you.
I also get this "cant open file" error on Android 7.1.1 on a Verizon motorola z play.
if you can figure it out I can test with an e67 pcm and a generic elm327
Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dmistretta
I also get this "cant open file" error on Android 7.1.1 on a Verizon motorola z play.
if you can figure it out I can test with an e67 pcm and a generic elm327
I was able to get around this by downloading the app from git using chrome browser on phone. I initially tried using another browser and the forum link, but that failed. I will test later today.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

^basically I did the same and could open and install the app. I'll test connectivity tonight and report back.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,232 Likes on 793 Posts

Tested on an 01 p01 using a BAFX dongle and a Samsung galaxy s7. Worked perfect. Very fast.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

read my 3 bar OS swapped p59

Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad someone else was able to post up what was wrong, I found the same type of information last night but never hit the post button, I hit preview by mistake lol.

Good to hear it's working for people now. The speed is rather conservative to try and accommodate more of the "low end" devices on the market, running it on something like on OBDLink Mx with the timings cranked up makes the thing fly lol.

I sent an older version of this app (that does have some write capabilities) to an professional tuner the other night who's going to be testing out some of the write commands in a bit more of a controlled environment. Worst case if something were to go wrong they are able to fix the pcm "in house" so bricking isn't of any real concern to them should a major flaw be found in the methods I'm using. They have already gotten back in touch with me and here's what they had to say.

Works perfect. Got app installed, linked to my OBDLink MX Bluetooth device, had zero issues changing SN. That is sweet.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had time and was able to test the app with my galaxy s5 with the Camaro and everything loaded up. I only was able to see what was displayed in the window such as serial, vin, and a few other miscellaneous info, but nothing pertaining to scanning parameters like KR, RPM, speed, etc?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fst100
I had time and was able to test the app with my galaxy s5 with the Camaro and everything loaded up. I only was able to see what was displayed in the window such as serial, vin, and a few other miscellaneous info, but nothing pertaining to scanning parameters like KR, RPM, speed, etc?
Correct, this is just reading pcm calibration data. Android has such a wide range of devices that app development can be hard to get working correctly on multiple types of phones. It's also to try and build a list of what Elm devices work and what ones won't. I don't want to release a program that can alter pcm data with out having any type of feedback as to possible issues people run into with it.

This app use's headers and commands that not even app's like Torq have used before. I'm going to be taking the Elm name out of the "Code Reader" category and putting them on the same category as tools like Hp Tuners and Efi Live. Obviously a great number of the Elm type devices won't be capable of going that far, so I need to see what the breaking point of most devices will be with out having any one risk damage to a pcm.

I already have a couple of Apps that can alter a great deal of things in a pcm but they also have the risk of bricking a pcm in the wrong hands or with an incompatible device.....and that's not good for anyone. So I'm going to be putting out mini apps like the one you just tried that are completely safe while I gather feedback on what works and what doesn't.

I could just say this requires X device to work but a good portion of the things that can be done will also work with much cheaper devices.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Cool Beans, I found you here too Pete. Hopefully I can help make this idea come true too. Using an M2 based on the Arduino Due, you have many other options. This recently new device is fully ODBII compatible hardware wise and is in progress to get software working for it. This unit is very similar in size to a standard ODBII dongle. With its MicroSD card, its Xbee port and lots of other possibilities this could help propel this into something totally beyond what you imagined. When the M2 is up to speed with what your doing, one could potentially have the BIN files on the sd card and be able to flash whatever BIN they wanted to. You could then edit the bin files from a phone and upload them to the M2 which could then flash without any issues.

You could also use the sensors in the phone to help do tuning as well. The best help here isn't the fact that you can use a phone with a 5" screen but using a commonly available cheap Android Tablet or a 10" tablet etc you could do some track tuning without lugging your laptop around. I think using something like the M2 you can flash without worry. And can do the processing on the M2 instead of on the phone. But regardless. Time will tell.

Rodney
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

another one of my ls swapped rigs has good connectivity.

P01, segment swapped for an 80e ...nothing fancy

Quick Reply: Android/Elm327 Pcm Flash App (LS Droid Read only released)