Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l swap

My daily driver, a 94 camaro 3.4 v6 with 165k needs it’s engine rebuilt. The car makes a sewing machine like sound when running. I suspect a bad lifter and with that amount of miles the bearings probably have to get changed. The cost of the rebuild (including oil and coolant) probably around 3-400. But then I am still driving a car with no power and gas mileage the as bad as a jet, while friends laugh at me as they pass me in a 01 Sentra. Now I realize that the majority of people are just going to say “buy a lt1 or an ls1, they’re way cheaper” and I get that. But I already have a ls1 camaro that I got for 2200. The reason the v6 isn’t scraped yet is because it was my first car and the body is perfect with not a spec of rust. (Also I plan on giving it the my brother in 10 Months when he gets his license). So I’m thinking of an alternative to the engine rebuild. I saw a 5.3l vortec engine with the harness ecm and transmission on Craigslist. He’s asking 1200 but that’s his asking price. I believe that since its a lot lighter than a suburban it’s going to get around 20 mpg in the camaro and I hope it will get my brother into cars. I know this swap is possible but I just want to know what I need to do and get to make it work. Not looking for a ton of power or mods just a better engine.