LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I can not get the transmission removed

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I can not get the transmission removed

I'm trying to remove the T56 from my '97. I've got all the bolts out but was only able to pull the transmission back an inch or two. It's not hung up on the chassis anywhere, something inside the transmission seems to be keeping it from moving any further back. No amount of playing with the angle of the transmission or engine block will budge it. It will spin around on its axis, and wobble side to side, but will not move further back. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Old 03-09-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Either the clutch fork is still engaged or you need to lower the trans more until it slides right out. Had the same problem about a week ago.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. I left the fork inside and never pulled it out. I agree with 350groundpoundet, I didn’t figure it out til it was the last thing that could be keeping the transmission from coming out. Came out after I pulled it out.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 350 groundpounder
Either the clutch fork is still engaged or you need to lower the trans more until it slides right out. Had the same problem about a week ago.

Is there any easy way to disengage the clutch fork with the hydraulics removed from the transmission?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave M
Is there any easy way to disengage the clutch fork with the hydraulics removed from the transmission?
Yes, that part doesn’t have anything to do with the hydraulics when your pulling it. You literally pull it away from the transmission so that the fork pulls over the piece holding it in place.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Down

Yes, that part doesn’t have anything to do with the hydraulics when your pulling it. You literally pull it away from the transmission so that the fork pulls over the piece holding it in place.
I've never messed with the transmission before. Just to be clear, we're talking about the part in the picture below, correct? I'm supposed to be able to pull that away from the transmission? Meaning pull it towards the camera, in the view below?

Old 03-09-2019, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It needs to be pulled out towards the base of those two bolts . You will feel it disconnect from the throwout bearing and that circular indent will be alligned with those two bolts.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Launching!

It needs to be pulled out towards the base of those two bolts . You will feel it disconnect from the throwout bearing and that circular indent will be alligned with those two bolts.
I'm pulling as hard as I can and it's not budging. It's locked into place. When I first started messing with the transmission, I noticed it was lose and able to move around. I must have bumped it or messed with it because now it is locked into the position it's in, and I can't get it to move. Would it accomplish anything to remove the transmission from the bellhousing?
Old 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're fighting the throw out bearing and a very weak spring Push the transmission back up against the block and pull that end of the fork away from the input shaft (not forward or backward) and it will start flopping around.

Last edited by stevo9389; 03-09-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stevo9389
Yes, it slides in and out on the pivot point. Push the transmission back up against the block and pull that end of the fork and it will start flopping around.
I've been trying to push the transmission both forward and back, but it doesn't seem to want to move. Only side to side. I'll keep trying. I'm getting tired and frustrated.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave M
I've been trying to push the transmission both forward and back, but it doesn't seem to want to move. Only side to side. I'll keep trying. I'm getting tired and frustrated.
pulling the transmission away from the block is making it worse, it has to be close to the block. When the fork is loose,like you said earlier, only then will it pull out correctly. It pulls out like stated above, straight between the two bolts that holds the spacer for the MC. I did this exact thing a week ago. Was frustrating but eventually got and it understood what everyone meant AFTER I got it out. Keep trying. It’ll give.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Push the transmission back towards the motor so you have play to disengage the clutch fork. Everyone that's doing this for the first time always has this issue as it's easy to over look.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Launching!

I tried again this morning. The tranny will not budge forward or backward. I can not get it back against the block. Something is stuck/jammed. Any other ideas?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Assuming you got the clutch fork disengaged you now need to use a trans jack to lower the trans to get it at the right angle so the input shaft will slide out of the clutchs grip. I had the same issue a few weeks ago, i thought the trans was stuck about 1 inch out and couldnt get it to budge at all. I eventually used the trans jack to lower it down pretty low and the trans slid out by itself effortlessly. Its all about the correct angles with installing and removing the t56.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Assuming you got the clutch fork disengaged you now need to use a trans jack to lower the trans to get it at the right angle so the input shaft will slide out of the clutchs grip. I had the same issue a few weeks ago, i thought the trans was stuck about 1 inch out and couldnt get it to budge at all. I eventually used the trans jack to lower it down pretty low and the trans slid out by itself effortlessly. Its all about the correct angles with installing and removing the t56.
If the clutch fork was in fact engaged, then it still is. I made no progress since yesterday. I was not able to get the transmission back against the block. It will not move forward or backward. Maybe I just don't have it at the right angle, but I've tried many. It won't budge.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Is it possible that I accidentally shifted it into gear while lowering it/moving it back by bumping the shifter into gear? What would happen if it was in gear while I tried to remove it?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What i think happened is you forgot to pull clutch fork, but have now pulled enough to get shaft OUT OF throw out bearing/bushing. Now, you gotta fight it to get back in there before you can do the clutch fork as its now bound up.

You cant get it out without getting input shaft back into bearing. **** will break if you pry on it where youre at now.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You say you keep moving the tranny side to side, have you tried up and down? you have to get it at the right angle to pull it in or out.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
You say you keep moving the tranny side to side, have you tried up and down? you have to get it at the right angle to pull it in or out.
Yes, I have it supported by a transmission jack and have tried different angles and heights.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
What i think happened is you forgot to pull clutch fork, but have now pulled enough to get shaft OUT OF throw out bearing/bushing. Now, you gotta fight it to get back in there before you can do the clutch fork as its now bound up.

You cant get it out without getting input shaft back into bearing. **** will break if you pry on it where youre at now.
So is there a trick to getting the input shaft back into the bearing?