Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard shift into drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard shift into drive

Please help. 98 T/A super hard shift into drive. The car was running perfect on the way home from work the fuel pump puked. had her flat beaded home a new delco fuel pump and good to go. put in drive and slam the whole car shutters the tack is not working noticed that later the tranny guy put a solenoid in $950 did nothing same problem but he guarantees the trans is good and sends her to the electrical shop.9 months later he put a new battery in it and it shifted fine still no tack but i will fix that $300 dollars and went to take her home same problem turned around and back to the shop. any thoughts would be helpful thanks
Old 03-17-2019, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by davydman
Please help. 98 T/A super hard shift into drive. The car was running perfect on the way home from work the fuel pump puked. had her flat beaded home a new delco fuel pump and good to go. put in drive and slam the whole car shutters the tack is not working noticed that later the tranny guy put a solenoid in $950 did nothing same problem but he guarantees the trans is good and sends her to the electrical shop.9 months later he put a new battery in it and it shifted fine still no tack but i will fix that $300 dollars and went to take her home same problem turned around and back to the shop. any thoughts would be helpful thanks
Before I get too far into this can I ask one thing?

What are you going to do with any advice?

If you spent $950 for a trans guy to put a solenoid in and didn't even fix the problem then obviously you're not going to work on it yourself.

You have credit at that transmission shop. A solenoid is what $20 his cost and maybe an hour to put it in. Go back to that guy and tell him he was wrong and you want it fixed. $950 to replace a solenoid, you got robbed big time. My advice is go get your money out of that guy.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Teching In

I would pass any advice on to the electrical guy he has all the codes cleared and I think he is out of things to look for. I do feel a little bad about the trans guy $$ but he guarantees the trans is good and says its an electrical problem he has been to the electrical shop and working with electrician I would like to try to give them something to look for or a direction to go.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Does it shift hard into other gears?
Is the idle above 700 rpm?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Teching In

yes hard shifting into all gears. I put a shift kit in about 12 years ago so it always shifts hard but the way it is now I am afraid it will tear the trans up. the tach quit working at the same time as the trans problem but high or low idle doesn't seem to mater. could the fuel pump install have something to do with the problems?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like a bad force motor. Do a pressure test, thats the next step. DO NOT screw around with wiring, DO NOT do ANYTHING. DO A PRESSURE TEST.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe I'm thinking to simple here. But are you actually talking about shifting hard going through the gears while driving or is it slamming into gear from park/neutral? Maybe as simple as tcc solenoid?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:06 PM
Teching In

The trans guy said the pressure is high and it was an electrical problem. I will have to ask them if they checked the force motor. The car slams into drive from park and shifts super hard into 2nd and 3rd 4th not so sure about haven't driven much since the problems. Park to reverse is fine.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,219 Likes on 783 Posts

If you're not doing any of your own diagnostic, don't play middle man with the forum and try to relay wiat the "trans guy" or "electrical guy" or whoever says. Ever played that game telephone...info gets lost/misconstrued every time.
If you didn't get what the pressure was at idle, and at 1800 rpm, for each position of the shifter...then saying "the pressure is high" is pretty useless.

Either unload the parts cannon, or find a new guy that knows what he is doing and can diagnose...or, if this guy has already diagnosed it, why don't you trust him to just fix it? Force motor is about 35 bucks or less depending where you buy, fluid/filter while you have the pan off,charge an hour labor for the trouble.

What am I missing here?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1

What am I missing here?
OP paid the trans guy $950 to change a solenoid. I don't even know how to process that lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,219 Likes on 783 Posts

I think it gets processed with ALOT of lube...cuz somebody got F***ed
Old 03-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Teching In

He says it has 150 psi drive 180 psi reverse. when he hooks up his shafer shifter it goes to 75/80. and shifts perfect he is saying that it tells him something in the computer is telling the line pressure to be high. I really really don't want to be a middle man but I was hoping someone would know what was happening. The car has been in the shop since last June and I am trying to stay in there ear to get things going again I do appreciate your help it gives me something to try because everyone we have talked to is stumped. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:38 PM
Banned

What exactly did you get charged $950 for? What solenoid?
I can buy parts retail cost and for $950 have a fully built badass transmission.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davydman
He says it has 150 psi drive 180 psi reverse. when he hooks up his shafer shifter it goes to 75/80. and shifts perfect he is saying that it tells him something in the computer is telling the line pressure to be high. I really really don't want to be a middle man but I was hoping someone would know what was happening. The car has been in the shop since last June and I am trying to stay in there ear to get things going again I do appreciate your help it gives me something to try because everyone we have talked to is stumped. Thanks again.
So he doesn't have a scanner I take it.

See what a real mechanic does is connects a scanner to the aldl plug and looks for commanded line pressure and whats commanding the line pressure. The problem is right there, you can't use a shaffer shifter for that, and it doesn't take 9 months. As said above, this guy fucked you. Accept your losses and take the car to someone who knows something, it's not a god damned space shuttle. This guy has no clue. I hate to hear you're going through this but at the same time this **** has got to be made up, this is hard to believe.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I had an issue with My GM car recently shifting Extremely hard. Not a LS motor but similar issue the op has, First thing I did was check for trouble codes. And I had 4 codes. I later found out that all four sensors were on the same circuit. All it was, was a blown fuse.
What I read is that when my MAF sensor goes out along with the coolant sensor, the computer defaults in a way that raises trans pressure. Maybe it thinks the MAF is seeing extreme airflow with an extremely HOT air charge. Either way I did was replace a 15 amp fuse and I was back in business.
Good Luck...… Check the simple things first.