Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terminator X Max not shifting 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Terminator X Max not shifting 4l60e

I have a 2000 Z28 that I’ve converted to a Terminator X Max. Everything is ready for the tuner and dyno except the transmission. It will not shift gears. It will go into park, reverse, neutral and any fwd gear, but the ecu will not shift into 2nd or 3rd. This tells me the linkage of course is fine.
I unplugged the harness going to the transmission and verified there’s no bent prongs and verified my other connections. I have the ecu programmed for a 4l60e.
My only thought is I have a high stall converter that stalled to 5300 with the factory ecu. Could this lose converter be confusing the ecu? I have in the quick setup/startup that it’s a big stall. Kinda stuck at the moment. Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2024, 08:39 PM

Received 401 Likes on 306 Posts

Is the Terminator showing vehicle speed correctly? It is sees no or very low vehicle speed it will not command a shift.
I don't see how a high stall converter would affect this, other than requiring more revving to reach speed.
What is the converter's stall speed? What brand is it? What do you mean by "stalled at 5300 with the factory ECU"? Never heard of such a high stall on a street car.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Is the Terminator showing vehicle speed correctly? It is sees no or very low vehicle speed it will not command a shift.
I don't see how a high stall converter would affect this, other than requiring more revving to reach speed.
What is the converter's stall speed? What brand is it? What do you mean by "stalled at 5300 with the factory ECU"? Never heard of such a high stall on a street car.
Honestly I’ve not looked at vehicle speed. That’s a good point. Thanks.
The converter is an FTI 9.5” hard hit.
As far as stalled at 5300 with the factory ecu I mean that’s the rpm the converter runs to when launching the car just above idle. Yes it is a high stall for a street car but it’s not exactly a daily driver. lol
Old 04-25-2024, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 303 Likes on 223 Posts

Pressure manifold is fubar....
Old 04-25-2024, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Pressure manifold? I hadn’t thought of that. Dang I hope not. At least I can access it by dropping the pan

Last edited by jhshnh; 04-25-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

4L60E Transmission Pressure Switch Manifold 1993-up (mts-performance.com)
Old 04-26-2024, 12:06 PM

Holley has something called "Trans Range Pos" which indicates what position it thinks the shifter is in. If it changes as you move the shifter, the Pressure Switch Manifold is fine. If not, replace it; as you already noted, you only have to drop the pan to do that.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (04-26-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Holley has something called "Trans Range Pos" which indicates what position it thinks the shifter is in. If it changes as you move the shifter, the Pressure Switch Manifold is fine. If not, replace it; as you already noted, you only have to drop the pan to do that.
ok. I’ll check into the “Trans Range Pos” and see what I find. I’m sure it’s something simple like that. The transmission shifted fine before this Holley conversion. The only thing I did when swapping to Holley was unplug from the factory harness and plug the new harness into the trans. So it has to be something simple. I’m a first time Holley user so it’s probably me that is the problem. 😂
Old 04-27-2024, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by jhshnh
ok. I’ll check into the “Trans Range Pos” and see what I find. I’m sure it’s something simple like that. The transmission shifted fine before this Holley conversion. The only thing I did when swapping to Holley was unplug from the factory harness and plug the new harness into the trans. So it has to be something simple. I’m a first time Holley user so it’s probably me that is the problem. 😂
You checked:
"I unplugged the harness going to the transmission and verified there’s no bent prongs and verified my other connections".
Is it plugged in backwards?

Arrow on the plug has to face away from the trans.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Old Buzzard
You checked:
"I unplugged the harness going to the transmission and verified there’s no bent prongs and verified my other connections".
Is it plugged in backwards?

Arrow on the plug has to face away from the trans.
Yes the arrow is away from the trans. I rechecked that just now.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Post the tune file and a short startup log.
Start the log before you crank the engine. A few seconds is all you need.
Files have to be zipped to post them.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:48 AM

I would suggest also logging a short drive where the trans should have shifted. Probably easier to log while connected to your laptop.
A super cool thing about the Holley system is that you don't have to choose what to log, it always logs EVERYTHING. (Hundred+ parameters?) You then view the log by toggling between 8 customizable groups of parameters.
You can even create custom parameters which are a math formula of other parameters. And then examine a log from years ago in a new way.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Terminator X Max not shifting 4l60e