Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Near fresh lq4 losing oil pressure with rpm/boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 03:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Near fresh lq4 losing oil pressure with rpm/boost

Had this motor built last year and havent put more than 500 miles on it and it has and still runs great. I noticed a few days ago when having fun making a pull on the highway that the oil pressure was dropping when giving it the beans. I have done 2 oil changes on it since its been up and running and it had nothing more than usual break in minimal glitter but nothing alarming. I dont know how long it has been doing this for. The motor has a melling high pressure stock volume pump and im running 5w40 oil.

I was supposed to go to an private rental session and get some good track time and logs but fear ill blow this build up making a full rip. the cold start pressure is around 65psi and when hot idle around 30-40 and cruising its maybe 50psi. but from what I saw briefly making a pull..its drops to 15 or 20. The moment I let off the throttle and back in it..it will spike up about 10 psi and hold.

Im wondering if if just the oil in the pan not having baffles or windage tray that I should add an extra qt. I havent drained it now to see if something might be hurt but its running strong, no blowby etc.

Quick run down of the current motor is a lq4 bored 30 over, summit pro ls forged pistons/rods, milled 317 heads running 9.8:1 compression, tsp stg 3 turbo cam,jonhnson 2110-r lifters,typical supporting valvetrain upgrades,ls6 intake.

It would suck to have to pull the oil pump as its extremely tight and cant drop the pan without lifting the motor out most likely.
Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2024, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 489 Likes on 393 Posts

Sounds like you might be aerating your oil, I'd try the extra quart and see if it helps stabilize your pressure.
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (05-05-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts

Boost usually means hard acceleration, maybe you are uncovering the pump pickup ? I'm sure you are using f body pan ? How much oil are you running? Some of the guys on here are running 7+ qts IIRC
Old 05-06-2024, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I can only use the fbody pan and have been for the past 12 yrs. It is a new pan but didnt have a windage tray put on this time as my old one was destroyed with the old motor.

Ill try to add some more oil and do some test hits to see how it goes. Maybe its even low on oil and nothing is even wrong lol. Ill chec it out on friday when i get back home.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 506 Likes on 392 Posts

If you're going to drop the pan I'd consider installing one of those Improved Racing oil pan baffles while I had it apart since you don't even have one.
It can only help with oil control.
FWIW I run 7 quarts in my factory LS1 pan and my oil pressure is rock solid, not going off the factory gauge either, I add a sensor so I can log it.
I also blocked off the bypass and run a filter without a bypass and my pressure seems higher across the board to the point where I'm considering dropping down in oil weight.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a buddy that ran an F body pan in a similar build. He had the same problem, oil pressure would drop like a rock under hard acceleration, the come back to normal.

Quick Reply: Near fresh lq4 losing oil pressure with rpm/boost