Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looks like I have some retuning to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 05:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 462 Likes on 325 Posts

Default Looks like I have some retuning to do

So this was a pain to get put together. I have just had heads/cam power with the GTO since I took off the rear mount turbo years ago. Time to play with the twins.
The following 6 users liked this post by gametech:
ALL ULL C (06-19-2024), C5_Pete (06-11-2024), forcd ind (06-09-2024), Forcefed86 (06-11-2024), LS1Formulation (06-14-2024), The BallSS (06-10-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2024, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot going on there!
Old 06-09-2024, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

So of course on the first daylight test drive one of the craptastic chinesium oil feed hoses broke inside the braided stainless covering, and dumped over half my oil out of the car before I made it back to my driveway. Drove to summit and picked up an ICT Billet hose. Hopefully that clears up that issue.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Defective Xhinese hose part of a packaged "KIT" ( like ON3 ) or an individual ebay treasure ?
Think you hurt the turbo bearings ?
Ever hear of anyone running a turbo feed line pressure sensor ( Not a gauge, but a warning light )
Tee into turbo feed line, insert a normaly closed pressure switch, prominent warning light on dash, goes OUT around 15 or 20 PSI.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Full Power
Defective Xhinese hose part of a packaged "KIT" ( like ON3 ) or an individual ebay treasure ?
Think you hurt the turbo bearings ?
Ever hear of anyone running a turbo feed line pressure sensor ( Not a gauge, but a warning light )
Tee into turbo feed line, insert a normaly closed pressure switch, prominent warning light on dash, goes OUT around 15 or 20 PSI.
The defective hose was part 2 of a double whammy. One of the hoses in the "kit" had a bad AN thread end, so being in a hurry, I replaced it with an Amazon special. The Amazon special was the one that broke. I doubt anything was hurt but the soaked turbo blanket. However, instead of 30 to 40psi oil pressure when I pulled in my driveway, I was down to 15psi at idle. The oil I had to replace cost more than the price difference between the cheap hose and the ICT hose. I was not even trying to be cheap, I was just in a hurry. Working too much OT to get to a parts store during the week, and I wanted the car running before the weekend, so I took my chances with a same day shipping item. Thankfully nothing caught fire, but times like that are why an extinguisher goes with me on any new build test drive.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 239 Likes on 166 Posts

I saw an interesting post somewhere that had a burned feed line, blanket covered the fitting, hose, and burned thru-I don't think it was the Teflon lined hose though. The fitting used on the turbo seemed like it would introduce more heat to the line, and being covered. I realize not what happened to yours, but keeping the fittings exposed to air seems a good idea.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I saw an interesting post somewhere that had a burned feed line, blanket covered the fitting, hose, and burned thru-I don't think it was the Teflon lined hose though. The fitting used on the turbo seemed like it would introduce more heat to the line, and being covered. I realize not what happened to yours, but keeping the fittings exposed to air seems a good idea.
I am in full agreement. The fitting is at the top where the blanket does not cover. Eventually I will likely get rid of the blankets, but that will require different wire routing and heat shielding.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 516 Likes on 401 Posts

And I thought it was tight under the hood of my 4th gen lol.
The following users liked this post:
C5_Pete (06-14-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 01:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by The ******
And I thought it was tight under the hood of my 4th gen lol.
No kidding. Space is so tight I just ordered the only aftermarket headlight assemblies available for this car because it looks like they will give me a tiny bit more room for the air filters. As is I had to trim the headlight housings and dent the tiny mushroom filters just to fit them at all. And I just heat wrapped the windshield washer fluid tank neck after a test drive today started to melt it. Not sure if that would have been a problem with the factory tank or not, but the aftermarket one could not take the heat. In other news, traffic has gotten a lot worse since the last time I had to tune a new turbo build. Could not find room to go past 6psi today. The spool is a little lazy on these twins for now, but I believe that is due to my leaving the timing pretty low until I get the fuel dialed in. Also due to breaking traction in 1st and 2nd gear as soon as boost starts to hit. The NT01s would already start spinning at the top of 1st without boost, so this will be interesting. Probably going to be weeks before I can access my neighbor's dyno, so street tuning will have to do for now.
The following users liked this post:
The BallSS (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 516 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
No kidding. Space is so tight I just ordered the only aftermarket headlight assemblies available for this car because it looks like they will give me a tiny bit more room for the air filters. As is I had to trim the headlight housings and dent the tiny mushroom filters just to fit them at all. And I just heat wrapped the windshield washer fluid tank neck after a test drive today started to melt it. Not sure if that would have been a problem with the factory tank or not, but the aftermarket one could not take the heat. In other news, traffic has gotten a lot worse since the last time I had to tune a new turbo build. Could not find room to go past 6psi today. The spool is a little lazy on these twins for now, but I believe that is due to my leaving the timing pretty low until I get the fuel dialed in. Also due to breaking traction in 1st and 2nd gear as soon as boost starts to hit. The NT01s would already start spinning at the top of 1st without boost, so this will be interesting. Probably going to be weeks before I can access my neighbor's dyno, so street tuning will have to do for now.
I have the same problem, too many people around.
I had to go out to my buddy's house outside the city and make rips at 11pm and later.
Even then I had to time it right, but at least the air is good in the evening lol.

Quick Reply: Looks like I have some retuning to do