Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper colored glitter in oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Copper colored glitter in oil

So I went to replace the oil pan gasket today because my 2000 Silverado with the 6.0 has been leaking. This is what I found and it has me a bit concerned. The engine has good oil pressure with average being around 40psi. Compression and leakdown tests were done 2 months ago when I was replacing spark plugs and they passed with 1 cylinder being a little low but nothing to be too concerned with. Leakdown technically passed but certainly in the yellow zone. I've seen silver stuff in oil before but not brown. I asked a friend and he thought maybe valve guides but I've never dealt with this. Any other opinions?

Old 06-16-2024, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts

That's gross.
I'd put a turbo on it.
7 new quarts of NEW oil and 14 pounds of boost should clean that right up.
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you just buy this truck? Doesn't appear like oil changes were done regularly. A bit of scoring on the rod journal. Copper glitter is usually bearing material.

However, if it ran good w/o noises, has good power and not burning oil, slap it back together and send it.

Or, do a complete teardown and rebuild. Not sure what your needs/goals are here...

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Did you just buy this truck? Doesn't appear like oil changes were done regularly. A bit of scoring on the rod journal. Copper glitter is usually bearing material.

However, if it ran good w/o noises, has good power and not burning oil, slap it back together and send it.

Or, do a complete teardown and rebuild. Not sure what your needs/goals are here...
I thought bearing material initially but I pulled a couple rod bearings and they are lightly scored like the rod journals but still silver colored. It was late when I found this and haven't done a lot of investigation yet. I've owned this truck for 5 years and put maybe 10-20k miles on it in that time. The last oil change was done 8 months ago and has about 1500 miles on it. This truck is used almost exclusively to tow my Jeep so it doesn't see a lot of usage but it does see hard usage and failure out of town with a trailer would be very costly.
strutaeng (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jfw432
I thought bearing material initially but I pulled a couple rod bearings and they are lightly scored like the rod journals but still silver colored. It was late when I found this and haven't done a lot of investigation yet. I've owned this truck for 5 years and put maybe 10-20k miles on it in that time. The last oil change was done 8 months ago and has about 1500 miles on it. This truck is used almost exclusively to tow my Jeep so it doesn't see a lot of usage but it does see hard usage and failure out of town with a trailer would be very costly.
Oh, ok. That makes sense. So only reason you dropped the pan is due to oil leak. Yeah, in that case and because it sees limited use, I would certainly just reinstall the pan and run it.

Have you drained the transmission fluid? That may be something to consider if it hasn't been done yet.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by strutaeng
Oh, ok. That makes sense. So only reason you dropped the pan is due to oil leak. Yeah, in that case and because it sees limited use, I would certainly just reinstall the pan and run it.

Have you drained the transmission fluid? That may be something to consider if it hasn't been done yet.
I drained and refilled the tranny fluid maybe two years ago. It didn't look bad but I figure no harm in getting fresher fluid in there. Then added a couple extra quarts about a year ago when it blew fluid out because the dipstick pulled out of the o-ring... probably because I was messing with something in there and accidentally pulled it out. The transmission is the 4L80E and it has a massive cooler. On a 100° day pulling a 10k trailer for 5 hours, the trans never got above 180.

I saved the old oil because it was almost new and I was going to reuse it. I'm obviously not reusing it now and will try to cut open the oil filter later. Since I saved the oil though, I'll send some off for an analysis when the test kits come in. For now, I think I'll clean everything up and slap it back together. If nothing else, I'll be able to get it off the lift and out of the shop but also because I can't do much with it for the next 2 weeks and would rather not leave everything open, even if it is inside.

Any other opinions are certainly welcome though.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by jfw432
I drained and refilled the tranny fluid maybe two years ago. It didn't look bad but I figure no harm in getting fresher fluid in there. Then added a couple extra quarts about a year ago when it blew fluid out because the dipstick pulled out of the o-ring... probably because I was messing with something in there and accidentally pulled it out. The transmission is the 4L80E and it has a massive cooler. On a 100° day pulling a 10k trailer for 5 hours, the trans never got above 180.

I saved the old oil because it was almost new and I was going to reuse it. I'm obviously not reusing it now and will try to cut open the oil filter later. Since I saved the oil though, I'll send some off for an analysis when the test kits come in. For now, I think I'll clean everything up and slap it back together. If nothing else, I'll be able to get it off the lift and out of the shop but also because I can't do much with it for the next 2 weeks and would rather not leave everything open, even if it is inside.

Any other opinions are certainly welcome though.
With that amount of metal in the pan, no way I'd run that. You caught it just in time before you had a failure. Those journals are indication that something is going wrong somewhere. Don't ignore it. I'd pull the engine, and do a quick refresh. You're going to need the crank turned. I'd change the main, rod and cam bearings and flush the block out real good. Leave the heads on, change the valve stem seals if it has alot of miles. I wouldn;t pull the pistons unless you just want to do it all. But no, I would not run it like that.
Old Buzzard (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Valid concern. It's still going mostly back together just so it doesn't leak all over my shop for the next 2-3 weeks. Whether I run it or not is another debate.

Oil analysis will hopefully help me determine what is going on. Crazy enough, there wasn't much junk in the oil filter. There was some but based on the "wet sand" look at the bottom of the oil pan, I would've thought the oil filter would be loaded. That said, there is no way I'd pull the engine only to pull the crank and leave the top end in place. If I have to pull the engine, it's at least getting a hone and re-ring at bare minimum. So with that in mind, any additional damage I do at this point is probably pretty trivial in terms of cost and work.

Quick Reply: Copper colored glitter in oil