LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I want to upgrade the optispark in my 1994 Fleetwood to electronic

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to upgrade the optispark in my 1994 Fleetwood to electronic

/Hello
New to the site, hope I can ask a few basic questions before I start my project.

I have a pretty decent 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood, with the LT1 and Optispark. It has clearly eaten a few of them, it's currently dead in my yard. I want to swap in a proper ignition system with coil packs on plugs.
I can fabricate a lot of stuff, but I need to find a donor vehicle harness and ignition to begin. Perhaps there is a vendor here that can help with the timing chain crank position sensor swap? I found https://www.eficonnection.com but they need you to know which harness you are starting with, and I don't really know which would be the best starting point. I am thinking any 2000's vortec? That's the advice part. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts

Do you have a harness right now? You will have to build your own as eficonnection only sells for F-Bodys

I believe your only option is a P01 harness and PCM which is easy to find in 99-02 trucks.
Old 06-23-2024, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

the ? is why reinvent the wheel on your ignition system. I get the availability of quality Optispark is a short list but determining the "why" you have Opti issues is a much shorter and way cheaper path.

If I had to buy an Opti today, it would be the Petris Opti.

Other than replacing the C&R, my AC Delco Opti has been on for over 20 years since I went EWP on My Impala SS. Find a real AC Delco Opti at the junkyard and get a new C&R or a Petris.

Old 06-23-2024, 10:05 PM

You really think there are any delco optisparks laying around? And a 'real' one costs 700 bucks. The Petris is 1200 bucks? For that money I can have an actual fuel ignition with coil on plug, so I will.

I want to change the system because the one that is there is weak and poor. I am sure yours was fine. Mine has burned out several, and lots of people have burned up several. That's 'why'.
The following users liked this post:
Kfxguy (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 575 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SonOfSaturn
You really think there are any delco optisparks laying around? And a 'real' one costs 700 bucks. The Petris is 1200 bucks? For that money I can have an actual fuel ignition with coil on plug, so I will.

I want to change the system because the one that is there is weak and poor. I am sure yours was fine. Mine has burned out several, and lots of people have burned up several. That's 'why'.
I don't blame you, I would not spend a dime on another opti spark part. That ignition system is garbage. thats why it only lasted a very short time. Throw it in the trash, and put something better on.
Old 06-24-2024, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SonOfSaturn

Its your car, do what you want. I have only owned my 96 since new and since swapping to EWP, (almost 100k mi) No issues other than replacing the C&R once.

Petris is not $1200. You can buy the Petris, WP, Vent Harness, plugs for $880

1996 Buick/Cadillac/Caprice/Impala SS Complete Optispark Kit and Bonus – Petris Enterprises

or just opti and vent harness for $475

1994-1996 Buick/Cadillac/Caprice/Impala SS Optispark Distributor – Petris Enterprises

You will spend WAY WAY more on a 24x swap

there are likely over 100k LT1 cars in junk yards with most still having an original AC Delco opti. I suspect most are good. Either just put a new C&R

Majority of opti fail, other than rotor screws coming out, is Coolant exsposure from weep hole in WP pissing on it. Few $2 fixes for that alone or just go EWP
Old 06-24-2024, 01:23 PM

I am in Canada. The kit you say is worth 475 is $660.00 here. It's not 880, it's $1200 bucks. Plus shipping. But I am so glad that you never had a problem, so you have never even done the job. Or had to look for one of the 100,000 optisparks that are laying around?

Why are you telling me what you think about it at all? Fine, if you ever have to do it, you know what you will do. You have shared your opinion about what you would do. I don't care what you would do, okay? Have a nice day.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I have R&R Opti and serviced them several times on all 4 engines in my Impala. drag racing takes its toll.

Understand Canada $ exchange to USD is a tough nut. I assume the 24x system will be correspondingly higher in Canada vs US.

Have been around the LT1 game since 96 and am very familiar with the Opti. As I mentioned, contamination from either coolant or oil is the primary failure reason but just taking the Opti apart and cleaning it will restore it.

Unfortunately the clone Opti's available today are a 50=50 crap shoot on even working out of the box. Petris is the only viable new replacement for a good one now. I suspect junk yards in Canada have considerably smaller inventory of 25 year old LT1 cars to harvest any part.

Good luck with your 24x swap, it won't be cheap. Ideally a few cases of Blue should make it easier.

The following users liked this post:
rentedmule (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: I want to upgrade the optispark in my 1994 Fleetwood to electronic