low oil light on

Search this Thread

Old Today, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation low oil light on

so brief summary of my setup:
MS4 cam, heads, fast intake and headers through TH400 trans and 3.73 gears
currently running full syn 5w-30 and next 3k oil change is in 1500 miles. currently running a might mouse catch can and then stock pcv. the other day was cruising to a car meet and had gotten on it a few times between 4K to 5K RPMs during the 15min drive. parked and let the car sit for 2hrs. when it was time to leave and within 2min the low oil light came on. fortunately i was near a gas station and pulled in and checked the dipstick which should barely any oil on there. poured 2 qts in and after checking the dipstick it was in the middle of the hashmarks. i poured a 3rd qt in for good measure and when starting the car the light went away and the car drove fine. is this normal oil consumption with the constant high RPM?
Old Today, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The dipstick does tend to show lower oil than when the car is cold and oil has drained back into the pan.

I'd try to repeat the experiment. I doubt you burned 2 quarts of oil in 15 minutes. Also check for leaks and is the car running hot at all? I had a failed thermostat in the middle of a road trip (it was opening but less than optimal) and as the car got hotter through the road trip I had to add oil often. What was happening is that as it got hotter it made a leak I had on the back of the intake leak more.
Old Today, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
The dipstick does tend to show lower oil than when the car is cold and oil has drained back into the pan.

I'd try to repeat the experiment. I doubt you burned 2 quarts of oil in 15 minutes. Also check for leaks and is the car running hot at all? I had a failed thermostat in the middle of a road trip (it was opening but less than optimal) and as the car got hotter through the road trip I had to add oil often. What was happening is that as it got hotter it made a leak I had on the back of the intake leak more.
car doesnt run hot, stays around 195-205* and no oil puddles when parked or blue smoke on startup or idle.
Old Today, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 197 Posts

Do you think the catch can was more full than normal? Still I guess 2qts would’ve been a butt-load of blow-by I guess.
Old Today, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Do you think the catch can was more full than normal? Still I guess 2qts would’ve been a butt-load of blow-by I guess.
honestly i have been busy i havent the chance to check. since you reminded me i'll definitely check when i get home to see if its filled or not.
Old Today, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,348 Posts

While you checking the catch can you should also grab a flashlight and have a peak into the intake through the throttle body to see if it looks wet in there. You said it's not burnig oil and if excessive oil was getting in there then it would most certainly make its way into the combustion chambers and through the exhaust. Does this car have cats?
Old Today, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Catch can was virtually empty. Checked behind the tb and it's damp, black sud on the backside of the tb. Also my builder recalled using sealant on the intake rocker bolts when he installed replacement cam.

Old Today, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Yeah if excessive oil was getting into the intake runners that thing would be smoking its *** off!
Old Today, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to respond, no cats. The inside of the intake doesn't look awful?

Quick Reply: low oil light on