Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise from cam LS1

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise from cam LS1

Installed a cam a couple of years ago and it's been making a ticking noise and I've been told that it's normal that it sounds like an old sewing machine, but recently the tick got louder. Seems louder when it's a cold start but quiets down. Removed the valve covers and checked the rockers because they're still stock. They have side to side play, but I removed one and noticed a bit of play that's not side to side. Is this normal? Do I need to get a trunnion kit and rebuild my rockers? Does it sound like something worse is going on?

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0.MOV (7.63 MB, 2 views)
Old 06-30-2024, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Pull the valve covers and wiggle the rockers to see if any are loose.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Pull the valve covers and wiggle the rockers to see if any are loose.
I did that and didn't notice anything. I did use a long screw driver and listened around and the tick is coming from the drivers side valve cover. It makes the sound the loudest dead center between the front and rear of the engine. I'm going to remove the valve cover and those nearby rocker arms to see what's going on, but a storm just appeared and I gotta wait.
Old 06-30-2024, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Its hard to tell, but that sounds like piston slap. That is not normal. Mine does not sound like that.
Old 06-30-2024, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,358 Posts

That sounds valvetrain related to me.
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (07-01-2024)
Old 06-30-2024, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Here's the two rockers and pushrods from that area I hear the tick. I noted a mark on one of the pushrods but don't know what caused it or if it came from BTR's factory that way. I show the wiggle in the center of the rocker but again I don't know if that's the cause of the tick. I put this on YouTube because I don't think people see the .MOV file from before.

Old 06-30-2024, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd change pushrods and upgrade to bronze bushings in the rockers and see if that solves the problem.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:54 AM
Teching In

I'd change pushrods and upgrade to bronze bushings in the rockers and see if that solves the problem.
The pushrods came new with the cam 2 years ago, but you think that needs to be changed? I did order a BTR trunnion kit to see if that removes the ticking noise.
Old 07-01-2024, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

If the pushrods are straight they're fine.
G Atsma (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dukenukemx
Installed a cam a couple of years ago and it's been making a ticking noise and I've been told that it's normal that it sounds like an old sewing machine, but recently the tick got louder. Seems louder when it's a cold start but quiets down. Removed the valve covers and checked the rockers because they're still stock. They have side to side play, but I removed one and noticed a bit of play that's not side to side. Is this normal? Do I need to get a trunnion kit and rebuild my rockers? Does it sound like something worse is going on?

https://youtu.be/3E3yp22ZrZ8?si=VS4Epx-QGYO-iqdV
Make an appointment with your local Chevy Dealer and have your lifters adjusted ! DO NOT LET YOUR FREIND DO ANY WORK ON YOUR VETT Unless you want to have an expensive "YARD ORDIMENT" sitting next to your nomes and elves !
Old 07-01-2024, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney Wesling
Make an appointment with your local Chevy Dealer and have your lifters adjusted ! DO NOT LET YOUR FREIND DO ANY WORK ON YOUR VETT Unless you want to have an expensive "YARD ORDIMENT" sitting next to your nomes and elves !
Please explain how you adjust hydraulic lifters. Other than preload, they're not adjustable, which is the whole point of hydraulic lifters!! As for the Chevy dealer adjusting much of anything, no thanks.....
The following 3 users liked this post by grinder11:
99Silver6.0 (07-07-2024), G Atsma (07-01-2024), MySons68C20 (07-02-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the pushrods are straight I think they're Ok
Old 07-05-2024, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

If the pushrods are straight they're fine.
Originally Posted by Htech
If the pushrods are straight I think they're Ok
What, are you a mynah bird today?
Old 07-05-2024, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
What, are you a mynah bird today?
LMAO!!!!
G Atsma (07-06-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 01:32 PM
Teching In

I got it all situated. I think it's quieter, but I can also still hear the tick. Definitely right side upper area.
Old 07-07-2024, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Decided to make a better recording. At this point I'm thinking the dual spring nature of the BTR valve springs is making this noise? Found someone who also installed the BTR cam kit and had a similar issue. Apparently it's normal?

Old 07-07-2024, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 668 Likes on 463 Posts

Yes dual springs can make noises; the various layers can rub against each other, get slightly hung up as they pass, etc.

I had an engine once that always ticked kinda more than I thought it should. (back before LS motors were a gleam in their grandmother's eye) Big solid cam, "triple" springs (double w/ damper), yadda yadda yadda. Then one day I was adjusting the valves and heard a "rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk" sound as I was turning the motor by hand. Probably almost certainly the spring parts rubbing each other. Just, with the motor running, it sounded like a tick. A couple of the springs did that.

Another one, had used stock (non roller tip) rockers; the groove worn in the tip, didn't exactly line up with the current alignment, so as the engine turned over, the valve would be up on the un-worn part of the tip, then at some point in the cycle, would "fall into" the old groove. Made a REALLY LOUD tick even at 0.01 RPM.

So yeah, diagnosing a "tick" can be much more complex than just blaming it on a lifter.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
Dukenukemx (07-07-2024), wannafbody (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 06:19 PM
TECH Veteran

These engines all sound like a sewing machine. Even BMW, Hemi and Coyote engines tick.
Dukenukemx (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Yes dual springs can make noises; the various layers can rub against each other, get slightly hung up as they pass, etc.

I had an engine once that always ticked kinda more than I thought it should. (back before LS motors were a gleam in their grandmother's eye) Big solid cam, "triple" springs (double w/ damper), yadda yadda yadda. Then one day I was adjusting the valves and heard a "rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk" sound as I was turning the motor by hand. Probably almost certainly the spring parts rubbing each other. Just, with the motor running, it sounded like a tick. A couple of the springs did that.

Another one, had used stock (non roller tip) rockers; the groove worn in the tip, didn't exactly line up with the current alignment, so as the engine turned over, the valve would be up on the un-worn part of the tip, then at some point in the cycle, would "fall into" the old groove. Made a REALLY LOUD tick even at 0.01 RPM.

So yeah, diagnosing a "tick" can be much more complex than just blaming it on a lifter.
Maybe when I installed the cam I didn't line up the springs correctly on the right side? I wonder if there's a way to tell without removing the springs. I did something similar to my BMW with the N62 engine and changed all the valve seals without removing the head. Maybe I can grab the inner spring with a thin pliers and tug on it to see if it isn't placed right?

**EDIT**
Did a bit of searching and these cam kits do give the engines a tick. This engine sounds just like mine.

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 07-07-2024 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from cam LS1