Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution

Hello,

Had a 2000 trans am and it got deemed a total loss from hail. I was going to keep it but then found another 2000 trans am, stick shift, sub 50k miles, and procharged. I think I was so blinded by power that I just dove in and the seller also seemed like a real stand up guy. Once I got it home I started noticing little things when next to the hail damaged one. Starters was the bumper was different but okay whatever, there was some bumper sag and the hood wasn't sitting right. Still okay because I want the ws6 hood so not a huge flag, assumed it came off for the semi horrible paint job. Well today I saw when trying to adjust the bumper it was being held to the body with some flat aluminum bar and where the head light attaches to the inner structure there is blocks off aluminum to shim them up. Well I don't know the part but also some stuff is bent. There is also a decent gap from the windshield and t top. I'm going to attach pictures but can someone tell me how screwed up this is or hopefully isn't.

One on the right is the hail damage one. Insurance has since taken it

I can fit my pinky in here

Left is the new and right is the previous
Old Today, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

The new car you bought does not have a Trans Am front bumper at all. That is a Formula/Firebird front bumper. If the car is in fact a Trans Am (would have the "Y82" RPO on the SPID) then the front bumper was swapped with the wrong part. I can see that the car has correct Trans Am ground effects and Trans Am spoiler, so I suspect that you will find the Y82 RPO.

Looks like the car was in some sort of accident to me.

Quick Reply: Did I buy a smashed car.....could use a answer or solution