Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e year preference

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e year preference

Going to be purchasing a 4L80e for a heavy street car LS swap this winter. The older designs are a little cheaper online it seems. I know they went to a center lube design around the year 97, but from researching and talking to a couple people it seems the older design is fine and a good builder will make either work. I hoped to find a serviceable stock one and run it for a while as this is just a street cruiser and will never see the track. Then rebuild down the road if needed.

Any reason I shouldn't consider the earlier design? I know the 5.7 bellhousing is one, but I don't see that as being a major issue. I've read the cooler lines seem to fit better on a swap if you stay away from the center lube. I've got my eyes on a potential 1995 model close to my area. I'm just curious if there are major internal design features that should deter me from going this route. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,252 Likes on 875 Posts

I was always told that 1995 and 1996 Model Years are the best Cores to build for High-Performance use.

However, Yes any Model Year can be made to work just fine.

-Marcello III
The following 2 users liked this post by vorteciroc:
bbond105 (Yesterday), strutaeng (Today)
Old Today, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 515 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc
I was always told that 1995 and 1996 Model Years are the best Cores to build for High-Performance use.

-Marcello III
Yes the 95 and 96 have the good input sprag in them. But any can be converted.

The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (Today)
Old Today, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vorteciroc

-Marcello III
@vorteciroc I've rebuilt 2 1995 units, and neither had the intermediate clutch wavy/cushion plate. Both units seemed to have never been apart, so I'm assuming that's how they came from the factory? I've never really been able to find the answer to this. I think even the ATSG manual shows a wavy plate there?

Also, one of those units had the 34 element spray. The other had the 16 element sprag (that I upgraded to the 34 element sprag). One of those units got mated to a 6.0 in my brother's 90 C1500 and is a daily driver. No issues with the bellhousing bolts mated to an LS.

I would agree that 95-96 units are probably good candidates because the front cooler lines make the connections easier. The rear cooler line on 97+ that may cause issues with that line hitting the vehicle's floorboard.

Quick Reply: 4l80e year preference