Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new gauges for LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new gauges for LS

I have installed a tahoe ls 5.3 in each of 2 vehicles. A corvair and a 58 Apache.
I am trying to purchase a 6 gauge set for each vehicle and want to know what to look for
like tach where do I connect it?
speedometer hooked up to the VSS
Fuel gauge for 0-90 ohms.
etc, etc,,,,,
Old 07-23-2024, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 338 Likes on 248 Posts

I use Auto Meter.
Tach to the ECM.
Speedo to the ECM.
Voltmeter to a 12 volt source.
Oil and temp sensors direct to engine sensors.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are not using a 4L60E trans (family) you may have to go to a mechanical speedo or a newer GPS unit. I just installed a GPS unit on my roadster and it works fine, price was right at $65.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

Top knotch is speedhut gauges. You can get GPS speedo or electric sender style. The tachs are configurable to adjust for the different signals and great customer service. I run a holley Term X on that car but it was a OEM GM LS ECU first, then a fitech and now holley. The gauges worked with all of them as they are configurable (GPS speedo doesn't care) and the other gauges use there own senders which you adapt as needed. I run them in a LS swap in my 87 trans am. On my 78 vette LS swap I knew I wanted to keep the stock gauges and knew I was going with a Holley Term X and I was able to keep everything original with nothing special.

One thing I will say about GPS speedos is they are nice and easy but they do loose connection under over passes and when your going full throttle there is a lag. Also when you have tire spin the speed just jump because its not hooked to the the trans so its weird bc you can feel the tires loose traction but you don't see it in the speedo. I also find the GPS speedos don't increase/react as fast as a normal speedo without a direct connection. So if you have a fast car the speed is lagging behind actual speed. On my turbo LS firebird if I'm going heavy throttle the car will accelerate faster than the speedo can keep up and I can let off and the speedo is still catching up. GPS speedo is nice and easy tho and you can do whatever you want with gears/tires and it doesn't care.

Quick Reply: new gauges for LS