Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 90 degree belt (PS delete)

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 90 degree belt (PS delete)

Hello all,

I have done a bit of research and there seems to be a lot of people have asked this question, but there always seems to be mixed responses in regards to the minimum belt angle on your pulleys. While some people say that it's fine to use a 90 degree angle, some argue that it should be a minimum of 120 degrees wrap around to prevent slippage. This is an LS1 that's coming out of a Holden Commador and the idea was to delete the power steering pump since I will be going electric power steering on this build. There are even ICT billet mounts (https://www.ictbillet.com/ls1-altern...ls-billet.html) that create this exact angle that I would get if I delete the pump and use a shorter belt.

Here was the link where I found the cheap work around where all you need to do is replace the idler and use a shorter belt:
The youtuber mentions that people are scared of running that angle on their belt, but he says that "he's seen high HP drift cars running this setup without any issues".

What would be the risks of running this setup, and what other options should I consider. I am open other options, and not hellbent on making this hack work for me, so if there are better solutions, please let me know. Also worth mentioning, this is going into a swapped 1971 Datsun 240z.

Thanks so much!

I've attached a photo of my engine just to help illustrate the modification. (AC compressor will also get deleted too but it's a separate belt).

Last edited by CrossThreaded; Today at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: LS1 90 degree belt (PS delete)