New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling/ticking LS1 engine VIDEO :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 03:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling/ticking LS1 engine VIDEO :)

Stil hoping someone have a idea what this sound is
I know its hard to guess.
Thanks

video 1 (rattle at 1200 rpm)

Video 2 (ticking when cold and rattle 42-50 sec in the video)
Old 08-05-2024, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 239 Likes on 209 Posts

Does it ever stop ticking? Mine won’t tick until a few minutes after it has been running but it quits ticking once it’s up to operating temperature. If yours quits after awhile then I’d call it normal “piston slap.”
Old 08-06-2024, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Does it ever stop ticking? Mine won’t tick until a few minutes after it has been running but it quits ticking once it’s up to operating temperature. If yours quits after awhile then I’d call it normal “piston slap.”
The ticking gets better after a minute or two after startup, But the rattle at 1200 rpm do not go away sounds like a diesel
Old 08-10-2024, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a normal LS1 to me.
Old 08-11-2024, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exeodus
Sounds like a normal LS1 to me.
Thanks for the reply

Many people like you say the same thing. That the LS engine is a noisy rattling ticking engine.
I love American cars. I cant belive that a Masterpiece engine like the LS should sound like this. So that is why i am determent to find out what it is.
If the car runs smoot and quiet when new when it left the Corvette dealer and no after a some years and miles it sound like a Diesel car, something have to be wrong.
Its hard to belive that there is not a LS engine owner out there amongst thousands or even million LS people, that has the same problem and figured out what is was.

But that is just my luck i guess....
Old 08-11-2024, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynor
Thanks for the reply

Many people like you say the same thing. That the LS engine is a noisy rattling ticking engine.
I love American cars. I cant belive that a Masterpiece engine like the LS should sound like this. So that is why i am determent to find out what it is.
If the car runs smoot and quiet when new when it left the Corvette dealer and no after a some years and miles it sound like a Diesel car, something have to be wrong.
Its hard to belive that there is not a LS engine owner out there amongst thousands or even million LS people, that has the same problem and figured out what is was.

But that is just my luck i guess....
Probably the pistons.
I have a 2002 Camaro SS that I bought in 2003 with approx 12,500 miles on it. Seems like after the first oil change I did myself using 5w30 oil, etc it started making this noise.
Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealer. First thing they changed was the power steering pulley and maybe some other stuff on the belt drive, it looked like they put a few tubes of dielectric grease on the belt, it was ridiculous.

One time they changed all the lifters.

After that they told me the noise was normal, same noise, all that work, and now all of a sudden it's normal.
I still have the car, it has 55,400 miles on it, it sits in my garage, still makes the same exact noise. I've driven this car 20 hours straight a few times and it doesn't change when it's fully up to operating temperature. This is one of the later cars that has the LS6 block, same as yours.

In 2007 I bought a 2001 Z28 roller. The previous owner had it set up for street racing, had a huge nitrous kit on it, was one of the fasted cars in the area, until the engine melted down on a run. He put it back to stock and sold it with no engine, and thats when I bought it.
I found the same year engine in a junkyard with miles that were within 300 miles of the odometer of the car. This was my daily driver up until around 2014. It makes the same noise today.

I also have a 2007 5.3 LMG I rebuilt with rings and bearings, a 6.0 LFA aluminum block I rebuilt with pistons, rings and bearings, and a 2014 L96 I rebuilt with pistons, rings, and bearings. These three never made that noise.

In my opinion the LS1 has a piston to cylinder wall clearance problem or the piston pin offset is different.

This LS1 noise was a big deal years ago. There was a site called pistonslap.com where people thought they were going to sue GM. I don't know what ever happened, it all seemed to disappear.
The following users liked this post:
chevynor (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4thGenCamaroZ28
Probably the pistons.
I have a 2002 Camaro SS that I bought in 2003 with approx 12,500 miles on it. Seems like after the first oil change I did myself using 5w30 oil, etc it started making this noise.
Since it was under warranty I took it to the dealer. First thing they changed was the power steering pulley and maybe some other stuff on the belt drive, it looked like they put a few tubes of dielectric grease on the belt, it was ridiculous.

One time they changed all the lifters.

After that they told me the noise was normal, same noise, all that work, and now all of a sudden it's normal.
I still have the car, it has 55,400 miles on it, it sits in my garage, still makes the same exact noise. I've driven this car 20 hours straight a few times and it doesn't change when it's fully up to operating temperature. This is one of the later cars that has the LS6 block, same as yours.

In 2007 I bought a 2001 Z28 roller. The previous owner had it set up for street racing, had a huge nitrous kit on it, was one of the fasted cars in the area, until the engine melted down on a run. He put it back to stock and sold it with no engine, and thats when I bought it.
I found the same year engine in a junkyard with miles that were within 300 miles of the odometer of the car. This was my daily driver up until around 2014. It makes the same noise today.

I also have a 2007 5.3 LMG I rebuilt with rings and bearings, a 6.0 LFA aluminum block I rebuilt with pistons, rings and bearings, and a 2014 L96 I rebuilt with pistons, rings, and bearings. These three never made that noise.

In my opinion the LS1 has a piston to cylinder wall clearance problem or the piston pin offset is different.

This LS1 noise was a big deal years ago. There was a site called pistonslap.com where people thought they were going to sue GM. I don't know what ever happened, it all seemed to disappear.
Hi. Thanks for the reply

Can you make a video of your engine sound please.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:25 AM
Teching In

I fond a video on youtube. From a guy that has the same noise as me. he sold the car before he found out what it was....

i have to find out....
Old 09-01-2024, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Last video posted sounds like idler arm and tensioner noise with some top end noise but the first videos sounds more like noise coming from the bottom end. Very difficult to diagnose from listening to a video. Have you removed the serpentine belt to rule out any noise associated with it? Have you pulled the valve covers and inspected the rocker arms and pushrods and finally have you ever sent a sample of the engine oil out to be tested and learned what it could tell you?
Old 09-01-2024, 12:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

Check your tensioner. My car has a lot of piston slap but it runs strong. Oddly, my car doesn't burn a lot of oil. It's possible you might have a bad rocker so you could pull the valve covers and check but otherwise, it seems like a normal LS engine to me. 5.0 and Hemi's are know to tick as well. I'm guessing it could be lifter noise.

Another option is to get a mechanics stethoscope at Harbor Freight and listen for where the noise comes from. Scott Settlemeir claims a lot of the LS noises are from injectors.

Last edited by wannafbody; 09-01-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for reply

I have run engine without serpentine belt and ac belt
I have Pulled the heads changing the Lifters ( Brian Tooley LS7 lifters) changed all gaskets ( so no leak from headers exhaust or spark plugs and so on)
Preload is ok
Rockers look ok

tried different types of oil 5w30-5w40-10w60

This is on my to do list :,

Pickup tube O-ring
Rocker arm trunnion upgrade (CHE Trunnion) have bought
Timing chain and oil pump (Melling)