Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is this why my cam bearing failed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is this why my cam bearing failed?

I have a borescope for firearms and decided to use it to see the cam bore better, this is what I found. These are very magnified, close-up pics.
The actual bore doesn't look bad, correct me if I'm wrong, maybe polish it a little.

It appears that the drivers side oiling passage isn't drilled clear through, I don't think that's babbit material, it looks like iron. You can see a circle where the hole should be.

And here's the bearing, one hole is blocked with babbit, the other is open.

Old 08-05-2024, 02:46 PM
Teching In

OK, so here's what I want to do, tell me if I'm insane!
I was trying to avoid pulling the crank, but now I have to, for one to check the bearings. Knowing this motor was so low hours/miles I was expecting them to be good, but now with finding the bad cam bearing I need to verify the mains are good.
Two, it's a bigger pain to pull a LS crank than a SBC crank, and I didn't want to have to deal with new bearings, and bolts.
Anyway, I want to pull the crank and drill out the oil passage that goes up to that cam bearing. Then just use a small hone like a brake cylinder hone, to clean up the bore, slide new cam bearings in it and re-assemble.
So, am I crazy?
Old 08-05-2024, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 710 Likes on 497 Posts

Nope, the machine marks don't bother anything.

Looks to me like that bearing was oil starved.

So, am I crazy?
I'd hate to jump to conclusions. Let's not go there.

In any case, crazy or not, the oil doesn't flow that way. It flows from front to rear along the oil pan rail back to the filter & cooler (or bypass), then up across the rear of the block to the rear cam bearing, then along the lifter bores toward the front. At each main bearing saddle a passage goes downwards to feed the crank.

If I were the guessing kind I'd be almost willing to guess that the main associated with the cam brg is also wiped. Looks like the front one butt I could be wrong.

Don't hone anything.
Old 08-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Thank you. I was looking at the flowchart backwards assuming the oil flowed up from the mains.
Well, I guess that cranks coming out either way, and new mains may be in my future.
I hope the cranks not hurt, I have a new cam.
As bad as this, I'm glad I caught it now. I had planned to put the cam in after installing the new pistons, that would've really burned me.
Old 08-05-2024, 05:29 PM
Teching In

I was wrong. There is no second oil feed to the cam bearings. It looks like the bearings just have an extra hole in them. There is no passage that lines up with that hole.
I'm still in the dark as to why the bearing spun, but at least the block looks unharmed. Can see it much better with the crank out.

Should I get the journals polished? It seems that 3 is the worst.

#3 main bearing which lines up with #3 cam bearing, that spun. Some crud there.

The rest of the bearings.

I'll send it in for hot tanking and have them put new cam bearings in, polish and fit the crank, and then I'll do the rest.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,648 Likes on 2,229 Posts

I was thinking (wrong) that this was an aluminum block. Your likely ok with this being an iron block regarding the spun cam bearing. Make sure your machine shop knows about the spun cam bearing and exactly which bearing it was, wen you drop it off. They will take it from there...
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (08-05-2024), Guy with a Chevy (08-05-2024), Woodylyf767 (08-07-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I was looking for an aluminum one just for the weight savings. Got this instead.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

LS engines have more oversized cam bearings than any other production engine ever produced. It is an issue. Block needs to come down to completely bare for cam tunnel work. Better to bore than than to hone.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Block is stripped. Hoping that one bore is good enough to re-install bearing, maybe oversize.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 710 Likes on 497 Posts

I'd leave that bore alone unless I was absolutely positively undeniably most sincerely SURE it's fornicated. Which isn't all that likely. IN NO CASE would I just launch an irreversible preemptive first strike on it.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Engine guy too busy this week to even look at it. Hopefully next week.
Old 08-06-2024, 09:37 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,648 Likes on 2,229 Posts

Originally Posted by RB04Av
I'd leave that bore alone unless I was absolutely positively undeniably most sincerely SURE it's fornicated. Which isn't all that likely. IN NO CASE would I just launch an irreversible preemptive first strike on it.
A dial bore gauge and about 15 minutes will tell the tale, when the shop gets to it.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:14 PM
Teching In

As soon as I can get it in to him I will. Hopefully it's OK. If so, I'll have him hot tank it and see if he thinks the crank needs polished. Then I'll have him install cam bearings and the crank with new bearings, I'll finish assembly.
I'm half tempted to return the stage 2 cam for a stage 3, and whatever rocker arm upgrade needed to run it.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Update. Just heard from engine guy, he says cam bore is within spec although towards the outer size, and mentioned GM's questionable tooling.
He is going to hot tank it, mill the head surface, hone cylinders, install Dura Bond cam bearings, line bore, polish and install crank, resurface heads.
I'll install pistons, cam, heads etc...
Shouldn't take too long, I'm between the end of the racing season and winter rebuild season.
The following users liked this post:
Guy with a Chevy (09-10-2024)
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,152 Likes on 804 Posts

Hate to see this. I had the #5 cam bearing walk forward on my aluminum block, Darton sleeved 427. Came forward just enough to completely open the oil orifice to the bearing journal, with no oil going to the bearing insert. Oil pressure dropped to zero immediately. As great as the LS engines are, there are two places I feel that GM dropped the ball on the LS design. Number one is having lifters inaccessible w/o head removal. Number two is no priority main oiling. My .02, but I feel your pain.....

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Hopefully with a better oil pump and plugging the AFM oil passages I'll get better results.

Quick Reply: Is this why my cam bearing failed?