General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steer fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024 | 08:08 AM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

Default Power steer fluid

Looking for more advice before I screw with this. Changing the rack this weekend and got on the topic at work about what fluid to use. I got everything from synthetic ATF fluid to Redline to Lucas for Power Steering. Even mentions in the below thread about ATF. Plus Rockauto lists ATF in our section for this car.

whats the best powersteering fluid?? - Page 2 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion
What kind of and what brand of power steering fluid? - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

So I just happen to have the below jug. This stuff acceptable or do I need to go get something?

fancy?

Last edited by Jolly; 08-14-2024 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2024 | 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

I have always just ran Redline in everything. Even my daily drivers.
The following users liked this post:
Jolly (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024 | 12:10 PM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

@Treburkulosis
I agree. Couldn't find it out and about so ordered it and it'll be here on Friday. I'f I've spent this much money already on this thing this summer doing all this suspension work, what a few more dollars worth of power steering fluid for a new Detroit rack.
Old 08-14-2024 | 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly
@Treburkulosis
I agree. Couldn't find it out and about so ordered it and it'll be here on Friday. I'f I've spent this much money already on this thing this summer doing all this suspension work, what a few more dollars worth of power steering fluid for a new Detroit rack.
I have found that the pumps seem to run a lot smoother with redline in them. It doesn't cost that much more and its a good peace of mind.
Old 08-14-2024 | 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I’ve always used AC delco power steering fluid in GM products.
i don’t believe ATF and power steering fluid is the same. Simply because, if it was do you think the factory would purchase a different kind of oil. I do know some manufacturers state that ATF is fine. I don’t trust them though lol. They push 10k oil changes also.
The following users liked this post:
Nathan C (08-18-2024)
Old 08-14-2024 | 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
i don’t believe ATF and power steering fluid is the same. Simply because, if it was do you think the factory would purchase a different kind of oil. I do know some manufacturers state that ATF is fine. I don’t trust them though lol. They push 10k oil changes also.
This is true. I know my wifes Jeep only likes Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or it rattles at start up. The heck if I am going further then 5k with that oil. It is so thin to begin with and even thinner coming out.
Old 08-14-2024 | 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
My thoughts as well. And I also use AC Delco PS fluid, normally I just order it from Summit.
Old 08-14-2024 | 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Automatic trans fluid is a hydraulic fluid and can be used as power steering fluid. Many manufacturers use it instead of power steering fluid. Example: all ford f250-f650 use trans fluid for power steering fluid.

Last change I used AC Delco power steering fluid cause I bought it for $6.00qt. Worked great.
AC delcos price went up so I got Redline power steering fluid for this winters flush.
Who knows what brand I’ll use next year, whatever is on sale…
Old 08-18-2024 | 01:33 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Red Line all the way.
Old Yesterday | 11:18 PM
Teching In
15 Year Member

Just replaced the whole system in my wifes 99 ws6. Rack, pump, cooler, reservoir. I put redline in. After a few track days it's still going strong.

Quick Reply: Power steer fluid