New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Rebuild with low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2024, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Rebuild with low oil pressure

I recently had my 6.2ls shortblock rebuilt, but I'm only getting 10psi oil pressure (hot) at idle, and 22psi at 2000 rpm. A larger cam (about 2 steps above stock, but not large enough to require a torque converter) was part of the rebuild. My concern is that stock specs are 24psi at 1000 rpm and 35psi at 2000 rpm, yet my mechanic assures me there is nothing wrong with it. Am I safe to drive it without causing damage to the engine? I don't currently have a complete list of parts that were replaced, still waiting to get that from my mechanic.
Old 08-25-2024, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Your "mechanic" is absolutely full of ****. No fresh built engine should be making 10psi hot. Best guess, he pinched the pickup tube O-ring and doesn't want to man up and fix the problem.
Old 08-25-2024, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

There could be a couple things wrong, every LS engine I've built on the first start had close to 60psi oil pressure and atleast 50 hot.

Your "mechanic" is looking for it to scatter so you can pay him more money.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:04 AM

He is saying that because of the larger clearances for the new cam, he put in a "high volume oil pump" which will lubricate the engine better but create less oil pressure? I did pull off one of the valve covers and the top end appears to be getting enough oil. I'm still worried I'm going to destroy the cam bearing with such low pressure if I drive it.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 391 Likes on 252 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Lilbiggie17
He is saying that because of the larger clearances for the new cam, he put in a "high volume oil pump" which will lubricate the engine better but create less oil pressure? I did pull off one of the valve covers and the top end appears to be getting enough oil. I'm still worried I'm going to destroy the cam bearing with such low pressure if I drive it.
Go find someone else, this guy is taking you for a ride. Cut your losses and move on.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,215 Likes on 836 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
There could be a couple things wrong, every LS engine I've built on the first start had close to 60psi oil pressure and atleast 50 hot.

Your "mechanic" is looking for it to scatter so you can pay him more money.
You may very well be right. Job security!! Any automotive engine I've ever rebuilt.....Let's just say if it was making 10psi@idle, it would be coming right back apart, either I'd disassemble, or it would be taking itself apart before I could get it shut down. Sounds like a bad, or wrong, O-ring......
Old 08-26-2024, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

He's an idiot, or a liar, or both. I would be threatening legal action and see if it gets him to do the right thing, otherwise, take it elsewhere, it's not right.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

New Cam would have tighter clearances with the new Bearings, should be a no brainer to see that one there.
High Volume Oil Pump by design is high pressure, with volume comes pressure.

Stop driving it and find someone else, as we've said.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by the_merv
New Cam would have tighter clearances with the new Bearings, should be a no brainer to see that one there.
High Volume Oil Pump by design is high pressure, with volume comes pressure.

Stop driving it and find someone else, as we've said.
I'm taking it to a different mechanic to have the oil pickup tube O ring replaced and oil relief valve plugged (engine has DOD delete) as a last ditch effort to get oil pressure back without having to tear this thing apart again. I wish there was a way to get this oil pan off without dropping the differential...
Old 09-03-2024, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I recently had my 6.2ls shortblock rebuilt, but I'm only getting 10psi oil pressure (hot) at idle, and 22psi at 2000 rpm. A larger cam (about 2 steps above stock, but not large enough to require a torque converter) was part of the rebuild. My concern is that stock specs are 24psi at 1000 rpm and 35psi at 2000 rpm, yet my mechanic assures me there is nothing wrong with it. Am I safe to drive it without causing damage to the engine? I don't currently have a complete list of parts that were replaced, still waiting to get that from my mechanic.
did you replace the screen under the oil pressure sensor

Quick Reply: LS Rebuild with low oil pressure