PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

LS3 or LS6 knock sensors?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:01 AM
Teching In

Default LS3 or LS6 knock sensors?

Hi all, I have a 2002 corvette with Gen3 engine wiring and PCM etc but with a Gen4 LS3 engine.
I currently have LS6 sensors on with the wiring adapters/extensions and as most of you guys know I had to retap the block to accommodate the larger LS6 KS.

Which knock sensor gives the best/most accurate knock readings on HP Tuners? I hear KS can be sensitive. THX Brian!
Old Yesterday | 11:45 AM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

With a Gen3 computer you really need to use the Gen3 knock sensors. They won't be very accurate when they are relocated, but they are better then not working at all with the Gen4 sensors.
Old Today | 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

I'm in the same boat. 2002 Corvette, even. It's embarrassing that I still haven't reached any conclusions about this.

What I have now is flat-response sensors hooked up to a Plex Knock Monitor, which works pretty well, but at some point I need to get off my *** and do some wiring so that the PCM will pull timing if there's knock.

Someone makes an adapter harness that adapts "flat-response" (aka Gen 4) knock sensors to the Gen 3 main harness, and I've heard that it works fairly well with no changes to the tune. I haven't tested that myself yet though.

The P59 PCMs have inputs for flat-response knock sensors, which in theory should work after some minor changes to the tune. I have not tested that yet either.

Quick Reply: LS3 or LS6 knock sensors?