Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

BBC vs LSx 454ci......N/A

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
You are smoking rocks bro, a aluminum headed BBC weighs te same as a al iron SBC, so, weight will not be an issue, not to mention, i will be making a bit over 700 HP and a 300 hit of dope, if you seriously think a cam only BS motor you are going to put together, you are just needing to stay out of the sun for a while, i will be murdering supras with a bit over 1000 FWHP on 93 octane, you are not even going to be in my league.

But whatever you think.

Yes it was streetable, ran on pump gas, made about 550 HP, and if you think there was no room for improvement, once again, you dont know **** about big block chevys.
Got a 100 dollar bill that says you get drug, you know things arent always as the seem Zane. You obviously dont know **** about LS3s
Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, it is going to be a bit for me, mid 2010 probably, but i am you huckleberry!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Got a 100 dollar bill that says you get drug, you know things arent always as the seem Zane. You obviously dont know **** about LS3s

With all due respect it seems like you really don't know much about BBC's from some of your posts.

Pump gas is great but you have to clarify that thats on motor only RS and trust me, these kind of motors like the race gas regardless of the compression, turst me, I have done it, at the very least run ethonal (like 108 octane or somethng)

$100? Thats chump change man hahaha.

If you really are going cam only and think you will be making 1,000hp then yeah you need to get out of the sun, a built motor then ok.

I still think that you have it stuck in your head that BBC's weigh as much as an M1A2.....
Old 12-31-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
BTW Nelson Racing Engines has some killer BBC and LSX set ups. Both have packages offered that make 2,500+ hp with forced induction. In my book that more power than I'd ever need. You could probably get into the 6's with that kind of power!

2,500hp BBC forced induction package
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p..._572bbc_tt.pdf

2,500hp LSX forced induction package
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p..._454lsx_tt.pdf

Pretty sick in my book. I like how the LSX makes the same power with about 120 less CID.

I think NA the BBC will win because it can go to like 700 CID. I think an LSX can go what ~500 CID. Very hard to make up for 200 CID NA regardless of how good the LSX head is vs the BBC head, I'd think.

I'm sticking with my more afforable mild 383 SBC and LS6 383 engines...
There are at least two production BBC's that are over 700 CUI.

Before you jump the gun with the above Nelson engine you need to look at the parts in them and how close to the raged edge each one is and that 50k for the Nelson is a JOKE. Plenty of very well know race engine shops that will build you one like that all aluminum in a 540 for around 30k with free tuning.

Originally Posted by KCS
Is the Tall Deck LSX even out yet??? $20 says that the 572 could run larger turbos than the twin 88's, make more power, and spool up faster than the LSX and it's twin 88's....
Can they run larger? Yes, do many run larger? No. Some of the 427 LSX motors have no issues spooling.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would be cool would be a comparison of a 427 BBC with a LS7. Build both with modern, aftermarket CNC heads, roller valve train, same compression etc and see what the dyno says.

LS7 Advantages: Fuel injection, weight, size and fuel consumption.

BBC Advantages: Larger bore, better exhaust flow with raised port heads, strength of components, price.

My money is on the BBC on the dyno, LS7 for car that gets driven on a frequent basis.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Can they run larger? Yes, do many run larger? No. Some of the 427 LSX motors have no issues spooling.
Define "issues." I'm saying with the extra displacement, there would be the same "no issues" with even bigger turbos. Probably make more power with pump gas as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

With all due respect it seems like you really don't know much about BBC's from some of your posts.

Pump gas is great but you have to clarify that thats on motor only RS and trust me, these kind of motors like the race gas regardless of the compression, turst me, I have done it, at the very least run ethonal (like 108 octane or somethng)

$100? Thats chump change man hahaha.

If you really are going cam only and think you will be making 1,000hp then yeah you need to get out of the sun, a built motor then ok.

I still think that you have it stuck in your head that BBC's weigh as much as an M1A2.....
I know exactly how much a BBC weighs and I know what it takes to make power. I have been building engines my whole life and have grown up around alot of serious cars. And like i said, things arent always as they seem
Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS
Define "issues." I'm saying with the extra displacement, there would be the same "no issues" with even bigger turbos. Probably make more power with pump gas as well.
A ton of them are blowing up more then ones or eating parts. Do somes searches.

Originally Posted by capn smokey
I know exactly how much a BBC weighs and I know what it takes to make power. I have been building engines my whole life and have grown up around alot of serious cars. And like i said, things arent always as they seem
Check your Pm's

Now if everyone wants to see what a truley all out BBC head can do...

Those Sonny's symmetrical Pro Mod-Series heads:

615 cfm on the intake at 1.100"

Can be yours for a little under 10k.

Id like to see someone try and make a symmetrical LS head and make it flow that I double dog dare you.

Those heads are going on a TT motor with around 672 CUI... well over 3,000 HP.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COPO9560
What would be cool would be a comparison of a 427 BBC with a LS7. Build both with modern, aftermarket CNC heads, roller valve train, same compression etc and see what the dyno says.

LS7 Advantages: Fuel injection, weight, size and fuel consumption.

BBC Advantages: Larger bore, better exhaust flow with raised port heads, strength of components, price.

My money is on the BBC on the dyno, LS7 for car that gets driven on a frequent basis.
u could put fuel injection on the BBC u know.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:46 PM
KCS

A ton of them are blowing up more then ones or eating parts. Do somes searches.

Now is that because the larger turbos magically blow up engines, or is it something like a fueling issue?

Now if everyone wants to see what a truley all out BBC head can do...

Those Sonny's symmetrical Pro Mod-Series heads:

615 cfm on the intake at 1.100"

Can be yours for a little under 10k.

Id like to see someone try and make a symmetrical LS head and make it flow that I double dog dare you.

Those heads are going on a TT motor with around 672 CUI... well over 3,000 HP.
LSx heads are symmetrical. If they were made for a 5" bore spacing, had a 2.550" intake valve, and over 5.0 square inches in the ports, an LSX head could flow over 600cfm too.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS

LSx heads are symmetrical. If they were made for a 5" bore spacing, had a 2.550" intake valve, and over 5.0 square inches in the ports, an LSX head could flow over 600cfm too.
yeah but u cant call it an LSX because it would be BBC then.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Wink BBC vs LSx

Amen to the 496 as a budget BBC.Especially with the cast cranks out there for $300. It is easy to make 600 FWHP with an almost stock bottom end and still squirt a 200 shot or so. I have an EFI 621 that should be between 1000 & 1100 at the crank but you still loose 15-18% to the wheels so I'm around 900RWHP, give or take. This is at nearly 15:1 comp. I have 20K plus in parts but, asthe man said "BBC but not a part in it came from Chevrolet.
In hindsight I would have built a twin turbo no question. I'm sure all here have seen the LSX that made 2050hp in the mag story. $$$$$ but it can be done. I think these LS based motors are the hot ticket for just about all short of serious drag cars. Gen 1 SB's can't touch em for mileage vs power. I ahve put together enough 406 gen1's to see these are way better for street/strip cars and personally I think they are the most fun.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:43 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, as stated, dollar for dollar, the BBC just has WAY more to offer. The LSx is a good street engine and fits easier, but the BBC is just more serious in the power department, end of story.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS
Now is that because the larger turbos magically blow up engines, or is it something like a fueling issue?

Looks like oiling issues.

I talking symmetrical/HEMI aka the way a top fuel head looks like.

You would also need the Bore for it.... so in the end guess what it will be???? A BBC!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM
KCS

I talking symmetrical/HEMI aka the way a top fuel head looks like.

You would also need the Bore for it.... so in the end guess what it will be???? A BBC!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, symmetrical port is generally considered a different port layout than a Hemi port layout, hence why Sonny Leonard has them seperated as such.

A BBC is not a Hemi port, nor is it a symmetrical port, nor does it have a 5" bore spacing, so Sonny's head isn't technically a BBC either! If there was a 5" bore space LSX, what I just described would be closer to an LSx then Sonny's head is a BBC.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KCS
LOL, symmetrical port is generally considered a different port layout than a Hemi port layout, hence why Sonny Leonard has them seperated as such.

A BBC is not a Hemi port, nor is it a symmetrical port, nor does it have a 5" bore spacing, so Sonny's head isn't technically a BBC either! If there was a 5" bore space LSX, what I just described would be closer to an LSx then Sonny's head is a BBC.
He has Symmetrical port and Hemi port heads, 610/615 pretty much 15k for the Hemi's.

Agreed the heads are not really any 1 head but if you can make it work on an engine then go for it.

You can put a LS top end on a SBF. See my point?

I was talking CUI... when you get big enough pretty soon it will have to turn into a BBC.
http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/sar932.html

Get a LS to 932, you can't never will. In the end like people have said you are hurt by the CUI limit with the LS/SBC and I will not hold my breath for the day I see a LS/SBC make 2,200hp N/A!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Well, as stated, dollar for dollar, the BBC just has WAY more to offer. The LSx is a good street engine and fits easier, but the BBC is just more serious in the power department, end of story.
this thread helped nudge me back into a 3rd gen. im picking it tomm.
LSx? u know it
1984 z28 ttops with 305 tbi
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Know how much effort it took to get the BBC in my 83???

A small amount of banging on the trans tunnel, different headers, factory k-member was moded a bit to clear a deap oil pan.

The factory radiator shroud can be modified to hold a big radiator with a small amout of sheet metal and pop rivets.

All the plugs are a dream to get to.

I would not say it fits easier. Id say its about the same.

From what I hear its harder to get an LSX into an older third gen then a newer. This may only be with the wiring/fuel injection though.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM
KCS

He has Symmetrical port and Hemi port heads, 610/615 pretty much 15k for the Hemi's.

Agreed the heads are not really any 1 head but if you can make it work on an engine then go for it.

You can put a LS top end on a SBF. See my point?

I was talking CUI... when you get big enough pretty soon it will have to turn into a BBC.
http://www.sonnysracingengines.com/sar932.html

Get a LS to 932, you can't never will. In the end like people have said you are hurt by the CUI limit with the LS/SBC and I will not hold my breath for the day I see a LS/SBC make 2,200hp N/A!!!!!!!
I get what you're saying, I just don't agree. It takes more than bore spacing to identify LSx/BBC/SBC. There is still cylinder bank offset, crank-cam centerlines, main/head bolt location and layout, etc. SAM and ERL made a 500ci LS2 at least a year before the GM LSX block came out. There used to be SBC blocks with larger bore spacing, so I don't see why there can't be a Tall Deck 5.300" bore spaced LSX block to get 900+ci or why it would be considered a BBC. It would probably more closely resemble a BBF.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the ls series engine but some of you can't seem to understand that it's just an evolution of the SMALL block . These engines have utilized previously race features into a factory package for improvments in efficiency and power . Capn Smokey , compare the 500 cui lsx to a 500 DRCE 2 or 3 , I don't think there is even remotely any comparison . The DRCE still uses a layout resembling the original porcupine head . Is there an ls that resembles it's original design that approaches that level of power or efficiency ? The ls7 sb was designed 40 years after the zl1 , do you think efi would be the only change ? The ls engines are the result of development from many avenues , do you think it's just a coincidence that a Pro Stock engine builder help design GM's LSX block ?

Quick Reply: BBC vs LSx 454ci......N/A