Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Tilton starter burned up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilton starter burned up?

I'm having problems with my starter that I bought a few months ago from a member on this forum, the truck has never ran, I discovered this problem when first attempting to start it.

What would cause the wire that goes from the solenoid to the starter motor on my tilton starter to melt? I know it wasn't heat from the engine cause the truck has yet to run, it is definitely burned up from to many amps or another electrical problem but I want to know exactly what. The wire was in good shape before this happened, no cracks in the rubber and on top of that it had that shiny silver heat insulation. I'm curious as to why, I've never scene this before, I was trying to crank the truck and it didn't do anything so I just held the key for about 5 seconds and the wire went up in smoke and I about **** myself trying to get around to the kill switch.

Just so its clear this is what is wrong with it, the rest of the electrical system is fine, in fact it ran perfectly on my firebird for 2 years, the only difference from the bird to the truck is the starter

Last edited by Drumer919; 03-02-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Regular

A bolt inside of mine backed out and siezed the starter...took it apart, locktighted the bolt back in place and it was good to go again...I'll ask a friend for ya!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks man.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Okay well I decided to drop the money on a rebuild and took it to the local shop and there was an internal short, that burned wire was touching the inside of the case after it went threw the grommet. $150 later and it will be good as new by Thursday. So now I spent over $200 on a used starter that I could have gotten an equivalent version from Jegs new for $199.99.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe it will serve you better from here on out....?!?! Sorry to hear. I make the wrong move all the time with parts like that.