Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Nitrous SBC, Need help/suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
h0t
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous SBC, Need help/suggestions!

Currently my father and I have a 388ci sbc in our 68 Camaro. For christmas I bought a Zex plate nitrous sytem (150-300hp shot), a Comp Cams solid roller (.688/.689 lift, I think 276 duration) to take full advantage of the nitrous, 1.6 rockers, lifters, springs the whole nine.

Well now I talk to JE and they say that the JE SRP pistons we have won't handle past a 150hp shot, so fine now I have to spend another $1100 on nitrous pistons/rings...fine.

Now the fuel pump isn't strong enough, and my father wants a fuel BG electric fuel pump/system...$1300...great...

Now there's no more room in the wiring harness and fuse box for the arming, purging, activation of the nitrous etc...K so a painless wiring harness. Another $500 or so.

THEN he said he's not going to bother installing the cam in the stock block...and now I'm like ok wtf.

SO my question is...do I REALLY need to get an aftermarket block or will a stock 350 sbc w/ 4 bolt mains hold up. Motor currently makes around 600hp or so, going for about 675hp on motor and hopefully a tick over 1,000hp on the 300hp (w/ the nitrous cam). Also, the crank/rods are Eagle 4340 forged, crank is supposed to be good for 1,000-1,500hp and rods for 750-1,000hp. Will I need a new set of rods as well?

Please help because I don't feel like spending $3,000 on a machined dart little M if the stock block will hold up because we probably would use the nitrous 5-10 times a YEAR at most (track is kinda far and obviously we won't be using it on the street).

Thanks for your help
Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, that is allot to ask of your block, i say it is OK to do 1000 HP on a 250 IF it has been a splayed 2 bolt with FULL race preperation from a machine shop. I would never trust import steel to make that kind of power and last(yes, eagle and scat are imported cranks). So, i wouldnt do it unless i was readily able to build another motor if/when it blows up. Might last a bit, might not.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in my opinion i would just go with the little m block just to be more safe. then other components may need to be changed. i would def. maybe consider the block though.

Quick Reply: Nitrous SBC, Need help/suggestions!