Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Marine Chevy 350 Build ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bob442
doesnt a marine motor spin backwards? cough?
it can,
most marine engines are left hand rotation though, viewed looking at the flywheel, they are no different than automotive engines. all single engine applications in boats are left hand (counterclockwise) rotation.

but some marine engines are specifically designed to spin right hand rotation and is done for twin engine applications to counteract torque.
like i said, most boat people are stupid, probably heard normal engine rotation is counterclockwise then looked at the front of their boat engine and saw the pulleys spinning clockwise and the next thing you know everyone on the dock thinks all marine motors spin backwards.... and i'm sure the marine oems don't mind that misinformation because it bolsters the misconception that marine parts are special so they can charge 3x the price.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually read it in petersons 4wheel mag. and they were talking about most desiried, or best motors to build, and the reason a marin 350 came into play was because seals and a few other things were made not only better, but with better, none corossive materials. but they mentioned the draw back was they spun backwards. but now i know thats for twin motor boats, Who knew?
thanks for cleaning that up, and teaching me something.

Bob

Quick Reply: Marine Chevy 350 Build ?