Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

How far do I push the harmonic balancer onto crank on a 305 GenI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How far do I push the harmonic balancer onto crank on a 305 GenI?

When do I stop pushing the balancer on a 305 GenI? I know the GenIII has a spec for how far the crank snout should be recessed into the pulley hub. When the hub bucks up against the crank sprocket on a GenIII it can't go any further anyway, but the 305 GenI doesn't travel far enough to contact the crank sprocket. Do I keep pushing until the rear face of the balancer is almost in contact with the front face of the timing cover or do I stop when there is still some of the hub still visible between the pulley and the timing cover?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 305 ...................push the whole thing into the scrap pile and build a bigger motor!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as i know the balancer is supposed to go all the way in until it contacts the crank sprocket. are you sure you don't have a late model (96-99 vortec) truck balancer? they have about 1/4" or material removed from the hub to make up for the reluctor wheel that is sandwiched between the crank sprocket and the balancer. definetely sounds like you've got something going on here...

Quick Reply: How far do I push the harmonic balancer onto crank on a 305 GenI?