Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

First Time SBC Rebuilder - Rookie Questions - '76 K20

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
That would depend on what was being done with it as that's not a lot of power for an SBC. In a DD with the occassional trip to the track, it would last a long time providing it was held to a sane RPM limit.
Yeah, not a lot power. It would just be hard for me to put $1k into a junk yard engine without knowing the condition of the bottom end.

Now you know why most shops don't do rebuilds anymore, they'd rather go the short or long block route, too. They can't make any money on a stock rebuild.
It's a too bad. Or, is it good? We've made an engine so inexpensive that all-but-minor repairs are pointless. Is it a comment on our cost of labor, or on our improved manufacturing ability? So, it only makes sense to rebuild an engine when the goal is higher performance and the cost of the parts and labor yields a result greater than what you can buy "off the shelf". Just out of curiosity, using a rebuild-able SBC or LSx block as an example, where do you think that "break even" point is?

Just a data point...your block should be a 4 bolt, so you have a good foundation. Couple that with some decent heads and you're all set. The stock rotating assembly will last all day at 6000 rpm or a bit over. If you want to spin it tighter than that, the insurance the forged parts provide is a good idea. You can make some serious power without exceeding 6000, though....just a thought.
Thanks for your opinions on this. It sounds like you've been down this path once or twice.

I look forward to the next steps in building this block. Now that I have made the decision to get the crate engine, options for the old block are wide open. I will be checking with the local schools to see about getting the machine work done.

I still have to measure things up and see what I have before deciding the build path, but I am thinking about a configuration that's somewhat rare: a mid-torque, high-revving, over-square 377, with a centrifugal supercharger to spin 8-9k. I would really rather do this with an LSx, as the target vehicle will be something on the light side (thinking stripped down, street legal, Gen-II Firebird set up for serious road racing). Not sure yet. Maybe trade/sell some of these parts for an LSx. Thanks again for your comments.

Quick Reply: First Time SBC Rebuilder - Rookie Questions - '76 K20