Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

BBC sitting in field... rebuild/tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC sitting in field... rebuild/tune?

as in my sig, i have a 1983 winnebago, on chevy 2500 truck frame with a 454 BBC. it has sat in a field for 7-9 years, but only has 85k miles. it turns and runs (and sounds) strong... i know i should:

-change ALL fluids (? ALL) and not start it up again till i do
-plugs
-what else???

i have never worked on a carb'd motor, and dont know anything about them, but am familiar with my LS1, and other efi engines...

yes i am searching, but all i find so far is rebuilds, and im hoping i dont have to do that... SUGGESTIONS?? and thanks ahead of time!

o and for future id love to add headers and giant side pipes down the 'Bago...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Change all fluids (don't forget transmission, differential and brakes). I'd also drain the gas tank. It may need a radiator cleaning and new thermostat. Figure on a carb overhaul, new belts and all new hoses (don't forget fuel hoses if any). Run a compression test, and give it a full tune. If oil pressure is good, and it doesn't smoke, you should be good to go, motor wise. Plan on valve stem seals in the near future.

Carefully check for a seized brake caliper/wheel cylinder.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes i know the brakes dont work, going into the shop soon to check that out, as soon as i water proof the roof. thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: BBC sitting in field... rebuild/tune?