Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 Stroker Popping Out The Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 Stroker Popping Out The Muffler

I have a 383 stroker in my 67 camaro with MSD pro billet 85551 distributor with 6A box and blaster2 coil. Holley 750 double pumper w/ vaccum secondary.

The thing is I had it on jack stands for a month to redo the front end. I started it up and it ran and idled good for 10minutes. Then I took it off the jack stands and it wouldnt idle right. It started spitting out the carb. So I took the distributor off and put a new pick up on and cleaned the reluctor(both were pretty rusty). Now when I start it, it pops in the muffler. Its not 180 out and it was at TDC Ive triple checked!

Soo heres a few thoughts ive had.
1. Bent valve- which im dreading and want to check EVERYthing before taking the heads off. They have been redone by a speed shop once already for bent valves.

2. Vaccum leak. Ive always had problems with vaccum with this car. What should the vaccum be on the 3ports on the carb? Its idling ruff so I cant get a good reading. I think there suppose to be 15+? Im getting diffent reading at each port

3. Some kind of carb issue? i know enough how to set a carb but im no expert!

4. Cam end play? When the cam was put in I was unaware of the importance of cam end play and didnt measure the space..

5. Maybe the pickup is gapped wrong in the distributor?

ANY help or suggestion is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanx
Dave
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing to nail down is the timing. What is your initial? What is your total mechanical? Do you have vacuum advance? Also, what are the cam specs and compression? Sounds like you have the timing retarded (not enough advance) for the cam you are running. Typically, you should be around 18-20* initial advance with 36* total.

Quick Reply: 383 Stroker Popping Out The Muffler