Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sbc 350 been sitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc 350 been sitting

I have a 79 350 that has been sitting for a few years but it only has 30k miles on it. Is there anything i should do before i put the motor in the car? Im puttin in new pan gasket and was gonna do rear main seal but do you have to pull the crank to change it?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

also they list 3 different style seals. will they all work? is one gonna be better than the other? Or do i just gotta match up to what i have.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

you don't have to pull the crank to do the seal. just make sure that it turns over freely
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

you want a pre 86 two piece rear main. you will have to pull the crank to get to one side of the seal. you're best bet is to flush some nice new oil through the engine and make sure to pre pressurize the oil system before starting. once you have it oiled up make sure to turn the crank just a few times and feel and listen for any knocks or drags when you turn it. plugs would definitely be a good idea. double check all your seals and gaskets for leaks before you drop it in. whereas it'll be more annoying to address them once it's in. hopefully i've answered your questions. good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I would change valve stem seals for sure, they are probably hard as a rock. You can use air to pressurize the cylinders and rent a spring compressor from Autozone.You can also pull the rear cap and roll the upper half of the seal in without pulling crank, just be careful and take your time.Also,If rear seal is not leaking i would say dont disturb it.Valve cover gaskets for sure will need changing, Jegs sells some cheap rubber ones that are a lot better than cork.Same goes for the oil pan, get the one piece rubber gasket, you will be glad you did !! Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: sbc 350 been sitting